Yellow Labs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow Labs

DefaultYellow Labs

Anyone feel that the yellow lab is overused in ads, commericals etc? They seem to be used everywhere. At one time it was mostly black labs that you would see now yellows seem to be everywhere, and don't seem very difficult to find in rescues/shelters anymore. This crossed my mind today as a lady stopped me and asked me about Boomer. Apparently she's interested in getting a yellow lab because she likes the look of them. A poor reason in my opinion to get a dog, as I feel it should be the dog who fits and less emphasis on looks. She did proceed to say that she exercises 3 hours a day, but from the view of her or at least what I could see from the car I highly doubt it. Though w/ that being said I don't see anything wrong w/ a color preference if a labby does fit their lifestyle. We probably all have our own color preferences. Though I personally care less about color when going through rescues/shelters. Boomer is yellow. He came from a breeder and I went w/ yellow as I already had a black lab mix. I guess I'm just one of those people who don't have to have the same looking dog all the time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Yellow Labs

My last two labs were black. All 3 rescues. I don't care about color either.

The reason we have our yellow is because we found him at the football field back in my home town eating out of garbage cans and scared to death of people. I think that he is gorgeous....but I am kinda biased! ;D My mom had a chocolate and now has a yellow, I love the look of all of them. I think my husband and I will go for a black next time just because yellow hair sticks out oh so much on black slacks! : But we love the chocolates too. I don't think I want another yellow after my Sargeant, no other yellow would be the same. Whatever we get will be another rescue, most likely from a shelter, so I guess the color will depend on if they have a lab or not, I just can't see us with another Sargeant, he is truly my husband's heartdog! My collie stole mine A LONGGG time ago!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I really don't think there is anything wrong with wanting a Lab of X color or the other. I certainly prefer all black and if I can have it my way I see myself with only black dogs ;D I don't see anything wrong with breeders breeding for color (a color in our standard) as long as it is not the ONLY thing. Some breeders stay strickly in the yellow and black. Others in just black. Other just yellow. SOme black and Chocolate........ Get my drift.
    The reason I got Cinder is because I wanted ONLY black Labs. Same with Gryphon. When Lily came about I was offered second pic bitch. I took what I was given regardless of color. I got to pick my pup in Rhumba's litter. I wanted to pick the black bitch because I wanted BLACK. I slept on it for 2 nights. Decided I had to go with the one who was my original pick and dang it NOT black! LOL But I love miss Roo and Lily to death! I realize with me it is about showing, breeding etc. So I cannot be to bias when it comes to color. Best dog is best dog regardless.

But as a pet person, my mind was on only blacks.

Even though I have two yellow, my head is still in the blacks and look forward to some day having a house full of just blackies!! Maybe a token yeller or choc just to mix things up a bit :P
    Kim

I've had and love them all!

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3
    The reason we have our yellow is because we found him at the football field back in my home town eating out of garbage cans and scared to death of people. I think that he is gorgeous....but I am kinda biased! ;D My mom had a chocolate and now has a yellow, I love the look of all of them. I think my husband and I will go for a black next time just because yellow hair sticks out oh so much on black slacks! : But we love the chocolates too. I don't think I want another yellow after my Sargeant, no other yellow would be the same. Whatever we get will be another rescue, most likely from a shelter, so I guess the color will depend on if they have a lab or not, I just can't see us with another Sargeant, he is truly my husband's heartdog! My collie stole mine A LONGGG time ago!
    My response is a little off topic to my org. post, but just wanted to say that all your dogs are beautiful.
    I have a collie but a different kind. I have a border collie.

Both of my labs were given to us for reasons such as.... "do you want her, if not we are taking her to the pound" attitude... and once Cookie (our 9 week old) gets to be about 2, I would like a chocolate one... I just would like one of each I guess..

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I find that yellows and chocolates are definitely more "popular" around here. For every black I see there are probably at least ten of the other two colors. :-\

LOTS of yellow doodles too. I was at the park the other day and there were five there!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

k8show is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Anyone feel that the yellow lab is overused in ads, commericals etc?
    When I see a lab of any color, on TV or in person, I'm quite likely to smile. So, I don't mind that there are a lot of yellows in ads. They're a good lookin group! ;D
    Katie and Boo

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof3
    My response is a little off topic to my org. post, but just wanted to say that all your dogs are beautiful.
    I have a collie but a different kind. I have a border collie.
    Thank you! My Collie was also a rescue the lady didn't want her because she was too hyper, I've never seen her get hyper since I've had her. Nothing a lil pet wouldn't fix! I originally wanted a border collie because they seem so overly intelligent and my grandparents misunderstood and got her. Besides my husband and lil boy on the way, she is the best thing that ever happened to me and I wouldn't trade her for the world! Thanks again!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast