So, what was your reason for getting multiple dogs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, what was your reason for getting multiple dogs?

Gene Guest

DefaultSo, what was your reason for getting multiple dogs?

I think having two dogs is much easier than having only one. Merlot, my chocolate is very hyper. He wanted to be entertained 18 hours a day and wore me out. I was almost at the point of wishing I never got him. I did not have enough energy to keep up with his. But I love dogs, and I adopted Zoey a year later. My wife thought I had lost my mind. Zoey was also very hyper and had been placed in three homes in one year, and always ended back at the shelter. Now these two hyper dogs play with each other to burn up that energy. I will guess they wrestle, chase, play bitey face, and steal each other's toys, no less than 6 hours a day. They have been doing this for a whole year, with no let up in sight. I still give them long walks and play fetch with them, but they are still young, and have a ton of energy. At least now I have some time for myself, while they are playing with each other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: So, what was your reason for getting multiple dogs?

But I love dogs,
    Me too. That's why.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Shadow, our last lab, was an only dog. After she passed, I swore I was not getting another dog. My heart was broken. Well, the house was way to empty, so we got Molly. I know you can never replace a lab, but after being so sad. I said, if we get another lab...I will get two, I just can't bear the thought of losing one again & having the house so empty. Not that having another will make the heartache less, but having another in the house may help ease the pain.

So when Molly was 3 years old we got Abby. I think in another year or two, we will get one more lab. I love having two labs. Not sure what having three will be like...they will have us outnumbered. But I think for me, this works.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I've always been a 1 dog person, but now I want to add more to the brood, whether it's with fostering or adoption. I think Riley will be fine with this, but not sure what Simba will think. The good thing is that Simba has a room all to himself that he can go to as he pleases that no dogs can get to (that's where his litter box is).

Dani is offline Senior Member

I thought I was a one dog house too...but after I met my best friends and their lab Drake, Rider was just so happy. I knew that eventually I would face the facts that I wouldn't live right next door to Drake and his humans all of the time, so I jumped at the chance to add to my pack. I love it...and I am looking at a possible third.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

It helps to keep your other dogs young. We got Rusty when our other dogs were 6 years old. Rusty was a playful 6 month old at the time. He made our other two dogs play with him & we think he added years onto their lives. Our other two dogs were no longer old farts. They became just as playful as Rusty was.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have always wanted a "big" dog. I'm really not a small dog person, BUT when I got Peanut I was going through major dog withdrawal (had recently moved out of my mom's house) and lived in a pretty small apartment, so I knew that that big dog was out of the question. So, I got Peanut and it was perfect. I could do all of the doggie activities that I missed (walking, etc) and she came in a nice and compact package.

I always knew, though, that when the time came and we were able that I wanted that big dog. So when we moved into the townhouse I gave it about six months before I started pestering Dan for another dog. I love our situation now, I absolutely love having a big and a little, I really do get the best of both worlds and then some.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I only have one right now but am going to add another in the near future. I, too, love dogs, and Labs in particular. After having Tal, I thought it would be nice to have another and no doubt he would love having a brother or sister. And with two dogs and a cat, I bet it will be lots more entertaining!

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

I felt Clancey needed a friend :P

Oh and I would have more except for my municipal by-law which sets max at 2.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

We always wanted a Lab but we got penny and i guess i always thought we settled for 2nd best. I love penny to bits but always felt like there was something missing. Weve had various dogs in between getting alfie and having penny we had a border collie who was very badly bred and bit one of my children same with a jack russell we had now we have alfie i dont feel as though anythings missing anymore and wouldnt consider getting another dog until penny goes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast