two kongs die in two days...suggestions?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two kongs die in two days...suggestions?

Defaulttwo kongs die in two days...suggestions?

So I have wanted to give the boys stuffed kongs to keep them occupied and as a treat. Both love this and I have tried it in the past with some success. However, with Tanner I have run into a problem. He chews right through them. The first one I thought was a fluke...a badly made kong as he chewed through it the first night. I returned it to the pet store who gladly replaced it for me saying that it should not have happened. I gave him the new one tonight and when I checked it out after an hour...he had broken through that one. These are black kongs and are supposed to be for power chewers. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

DefaultRe: two kongs die in two days...suggestions?

Same here, but more like two HOURS! RIP sweet Kongs ;D

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Maybe try stuffing something edible? Like a pepper or some such thing..?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Azusateach is offline Member

If you're freezing them it might make them more brittle & easier to break. I've got the black one & fill it with peanut butter & a couple of biscuits but I don't freeze it. Jed licks more than chews, except to break the biscuits.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Wow that is some power chewing, I'm impressed! Sammi has the red ones I fill and freeze them all the time! I thought she was a power chewer but she has never come close to chewing thru one of her kong's, maybe she is a wimp after all ! If they can chew through a kong, I wouldnt even try a stuffy! Good luck!

Gosh Ken, no advise on this end......tiller does not like to have the Kongs stuffed, she licks for a min and then gets bored.....She would rather torment me...LOL....

Have you gone on the kong website? maybe they have some suggestions...good luck
    jacqui and tiller

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If you're freezing them it might make them more brittle & easier to break.
    That's a good possibility.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Chewed through two black Kongs in less than an hour? I would be contacting the Kong Company. Ii would suggest they hire Tanner to test new product and in addition to salary, a lifetime supply of Kongs be provided. NOTE: Since he would be testing their advance product, there would obviously be associated risk, so they will also take on all future veterinary expenses including preventive care. Yep! I would be typing that letter right now and boxing up the remains of the failed product.

PS: Serious
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

I don't really have suggestions on the kong, we even tried the blue (veterinary one) and Raven could tear it apart (though it took more than an hour). We use the orbee ball to stuff things in. We have the large size and never freeze it but it is hollow so we stuff it with a bunch of treats. It is a different material which when I first felt it, it didn't feel very strong but it is! Orbee also has what is called an Orbo which is shaped like a kong but their largest size still isn't very big so we just use the ball. I don't know if you are interested, or if that will even work for you, but if so www.planetdog.com

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    I would be typing that letter right now and boxing up the remains of the failed product.
    PS: Serious
    Sorry I did that and the only this the Kong Company is going to say is "take it back to the store". I had problems with Mugs with his kongs for a while, I was taking them back and getting new ones as well, then I saw that Nylabone had a Kong, it's called the Rhino Cone so we tried that and the samething so I emailed Nylabone people and told them and they wrote me back and they were really nice,(more nicer then kong people) seeing Mugs was a strong/good chewer I was joking with the lady from Nylabone and I said "Do you need a chew tester"? The Lady said they have a list and she added Mugs to the list and This is the toy that he gottin so far to test, and so far it's holding up.

Here's a pic of his Black kong

and the Nylabone Cone

Good Luck on the chewing, I was lucky Mugs has stopped chewing on his Kongs,I don't know if he out grew them but he doesn't chew much on them.

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast