Nikon D40 Camera

Thread: Nikon D40 Camera

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultNikon D40 Camera

Sorry I know I should post this in odds and ends but so may great pictures here i had to ask

Does any one have any experience with the Nikon D40 Digital SLR Camera? I guess itís the replacement for the D50 but is missing a few features of the D70 and not as fancy or expensive as the D40x.

This would be my first SLR so I'm pretty new to the camera market. I had my eye on a Sony A100 but the price is pretty steep compared to the Nikon and even though the Sony is a 10.0 mp and the Nikon is a 6.0 I couldn't see the difference in the picture quality when I compared them.

I'm just an amateur looking to take grate pictures of my kids and Lab's I'm not looking to make a living at it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nikon D40 Camera

I've got one! I love it!!

I bought mine in October of last year. I hear that they are thinking of discontinuing the D40 and just running with the D40x and the "higher" models, so you may be in a position to get a good deal.

This is my first D-SLR and I'm finding it really easy to use. The D40x and the "higher" models were just too much camera for me, and beyond what I would probably ever use. So that really factored in to my decision.

Here are some good links that I found helpful:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm
    Ken Rockwell's site is actually really informative!!

Here are a few others:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...nikon_d40.html

Tanya is offline Senior Member

My parents bought the D40x in December and I've played around with it. The D40 is not really comparable to the D70 even though it has some "features" for it. The D40 - you need to go in the menu to change settings. The D70 there are easy to use buttons for quick manual adjustments to the photo. But yes, it is a replacement for the D50.

Unless you plan to crop big time, or blow up photos OVER 8x10 don't worry about the mega pixels.

Do you plan to buy lenses? Use Manual Mode/Semi-Manual?

ETA - my parents really like the camera, though my dad is disapointed at not being able to change settings more easily.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

Iím just new to the whole DSLR so i'm just learning Iím just tired of the lag in shutter times and missing shots with my point and shoot. I have always like photography and would like to spend a little more time doing it I live in a very photogenic area.

As far as what I may buy in the future I would like something I could grow with, I did stumble across the Ken Rockwell site also and your right there is a lot of grate information on it.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have a Pentax K10D. I only considered three brands, Canon, Nikon, and Pentax. I would not buy a Sony, shutter delay being one reason. Canon has an edge inder low light conditions. I made my choice based on this probably being my last camera nd wanted something that I would be able to grow and learn with. The Pentax probably has the most rugged body, able to take abuse (falling at the dogpark, and moisture resistance). I have a friend that has lots of Pentax lenses (might have been my decision maker). They each have there pros and cons, depends on your interest, intent, etc.

PS: The camera does not a photographer make, compare Felix and me for proof.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.