Just Labradors banner

Day Three, still no chicken bone

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  kassabella 
#1 ·
???

We have been watching him like crazy, examining every poo, loading him up on bread between meals. I still haven't seen anything. He still acts just fine.

How long should I continue biting my nails over this?

You read some scary stuff on the internet...like dogs that have problems many days or weeks later, because the bone hangs out in the stomach, then it finally turns the right way to enter the intestines.

OTOH, I read some things about chicken bones that were very encouraging, although a little sad: A couple of sites mentioned that "modern" table chickens are very immature when slaughtered, therefore their bones are much softer than the old broiler chickens. One source said the chickens' bones are so soft when they are slaughtered that they could barely stand. :'( :'( :'(

But, as sad as that made me, it seems like it could be good news for us. ???

#2 ·
Gosh. :( I read something recently about the deplorable conditions commercially raised chickens have to live in. :(

But, back to Angus. I hope the bone makes it's way out, soon! Catch me up on this; have you taken him in for an xray?

#3 ·
??? Possibly an abdominal x-ray (at least two different views) might answer the question......???

When Auggie was being diagnosed for problems back in Sept07 surprisingly a bone showed up in her intestine - we did poop watch & poke for over a week and nothing. At the next x-ray the bone was nowhere to be seen!!! ;D (we think it was a deer bone she picked up out in the woods)

#5 ·
I know that Angus has had problems in the past,so go by whatever your vet says, but my dogs (especially in the past, as I posted before) have eaten bones and I never , ever saw them pass in the poop. Corn maybe, but not bones. (and I'm a consummate "poop watcher"!)

#6 ·
Well, I guess a bone would show up on an x-ray, wouldn't it?

The vet's office was definitely in the wait and see camp.

Maybe I'll call them and see if they think an x-ray is a good idea at this point...

#7 ·
Connie, why don't you post over in the raw section. Plenty of people over there feed raw and can probably give you encouraging words. I've given my crew a lot of RMB's including chicken in the past and never seen them poop bone. Throw up bone maybe, but never poop bone. All they get now is marrow bones and turkey necks because I wasn't real fond of them throwing up bone. Now...we won't talk about when Zoe pooped the bird, but that's another story. I think the raw feeders will make you feel better than he'll be okay. :)

#8 ·
Thanks Sandy :) I might do that. The only thing that worries me is that this one was cooked, and therefore the consistency changed...? ??? Or does it? I don't know!! :eek: You read so many different opinions about bones.

I called the vet, and he said as long as he's acting normal he didn't see a need to take an x-ray. He said that even if they saw something on it, they would not necessarily be jumping to do surgery if all other signs are normal. He didn't really seem uber-concerned, so that makes me feel better. He knows me and Angus very well, and I *think* if there was anything to be very concerned about he would have had us come in.

#12 ·
I doubt you'll see him pass big chunks of bone, Connie. My guess would be that he won't have any trouble from this point onward. I think you are worrying too much. ;)

A couple of sites mentioned that "modern" table chickens are very immature when slaughtered, therefore their bones are much softer than the old broiler chickens. One source said the chickens' bones are so soft when they are slaughtered that they could barely stand.
Very true, sadly. I think battery farmed chickens are slaughtered at 30-something days old. If you watch a video or two on how chickens are mass produced, you won't ever buy anything other than free-range again. :-\

#13 ·
I'll echo the sentiments above on commercially raised chickens. You do NOT want to know about chicken. For those that think chicken is healthier than beef, you have another thing coming. It's quite disgusting actually. I learned more than I ever wanted to know when I worked for a poultry consultant. I'm with Rosie, free range is the only way to go. THEN chicken is healthy, or as healthy as you can get without raising it yourself.

Sorry for the hijack.

I think Angus is probably ok Connie. People have fed cooked chicken bones for YEARS and dogs did ok. It's scary knowing what we know now but I think with his prior issues if he was going to have a problem he'd probably have started to show signs by now.

#14 ·
Connie Kass, Sam did and Ernie has eaten cooked chicken bones and came to no harm. Not that I wanted them to, but each would stock take the bin and find them from time to time.

Like you I worry sick.

I feed Ernie raw chicken so that is not a problem.

Hope he is o.k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.