Scrach marks on Decking

Thread: Scrach marks on Decking

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultScrach marks on Decking

Willow has a habit of launching off my back deck without using the stairs. I have started to notice scratch marks and chipping paint on my top landing. My deck is painted pressure treated wood decking. I need to do something about this before my wife sees It and me and Willow wind up in the og house.

Any suggestions? :-\

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Scrach marks on Decking

Can you affix some sort of rubber matting around the launch pad? It will protect the wood from further damage...and hide the damage already done?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

fburke is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Retriever Mama
    Can you affix some sort of rubber matting around the launch pad? It will protect the wood from further damage...and hide the damage already done?

Not a bad idea I’m just concerned with trapping moisture underneath and having the wood rot

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh do I feel your pain....I have to paint/stain my deck every year on the landing and stairs because it gets worn down to the wood. Last year I changed from a dark color to a lighter one that matches the raw wood better so it's not so obvious when it gets scratched off.

Hunter is offline Senior Member

Unless you put down some sort of protection, there is not much you can do about it. I have to sand my deck down every two years to remove the scratches. Then I reseal the wood with a quality wood sealer.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DW is no longer allowed on deck

Alternate: Tear off the decking and put down a composite material deck board.

I tore our deck down three years ago, needed it, and rebuilt the whole thing with composites. No stain, no paint, no seal. I do power wash it at the beginning of the season. Good excuse to add a power washer to the toy box.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.