How long did you keep your Puppy crated??
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long did you keep your Puppy crated??

DefaultHow long did you keep your Puppy crated??

How long was it for you until you could trust your Lab out at night? I know I am no where near that point, but I'm just curious.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How long did you keep your Puppy crated??

Mocha I started letting out at night at about 8-9 months but not during the day until a while after that. When I did I kept her in my bedroom with the door closed so I could hear her if she got into anything.

Denali was out of his crate at approx. 10 months...but lived in the utility room(where his crate is) during the day when not home and at night until 3 weeks ago - he'll be two next month....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

none of mine slept in crates as puppies.. They slept in bed with me so I could hear then when they needed to go out and potty :

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Year and a half for me I think. Rocky got sick, nasty diariaha? (damn spelling). I let him out of his crate and stayed up with him for a night or so, he seemed to behave and just sleep so I left him out and he was fine.

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LabMommyKathryn
    none of mine slept in crates as puppies.. They slept in bed with me so I could hear then when they needed to go out and potty :
    Same here. Riley slept with me after about a week of bring her home, which would have made her 9 weeks old. She is still crated during the day when I'm at work or if I'm going to be out more than an hour or so. She's 1 now, and if I'm only going to be gone for a short while (less than 30-45 mins), I leave her out but she only has access to the living room and kitchen.

TwoLabs is offline Member

At about 4 months we let Clancy sleep on a bed in our room. Sometimes he goes back to his crate if he "bugs" us too much at night, and then he gets the point. Most nights he just lies quietly pulling the stuffing out of his bed if awake. He hasn't needed to go out at night since 10 or 11 weeks old. We do keep our door closed, so he is confined to our room.

If I have to run out for under an hour, I'll leave him free in the house. He's almost 8 months.

Henry was in his crate (in our bedroom) at night until he was almost 2. One day I just replaced his crate with a dog bed and he would just sleep there, or, fall asleep on my bed, and then wind up back on his dog bed overnight. Then, he just started sleeping in my bed! LOL!

He didn't earn the honour of being free in the house during the day while I was at work until just last year (he would have been 3.5).

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I refuse to reply with that answer. I suspect Shanny will read it and send messages to HK.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

georgie is offline Senior Member

After about 3 weeks, we let Molly sleep in bed with us. We closed the bedroom door so she couldn't get off the bed & wonder around at night. We did the same with Abby. We were lucky....neither girl would get out of bed until the alarm went off or we would wake up.

Both girls were in their crates when we worked until the were about 15-16 months old & could be trusted to be left alone in the house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast