Question about crating

Thread: Question about crating

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about crating

I was thinking that when I get another dog, he/she will probably be around 5 - 6 months or so. Of course, I will crate when I cannot watch. I only have one crate, Tal's, but he seldom uses it. Midnight goes into it more than Tal does!

When I crate the new one, I am concerned that when I am gone and Tal has free roam and the new dog might be upset or something. I want to keep the crate in my room so that the new one will know I am there. Tal usually goes and sleeps in my LR chair most of the night. I want to leave the BR door open so the dogs, and even Midnight can all get used to eachother being around without risking a bad accident. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question about crating

I think you have the right idea. It won't bother the new dog at all. When I have new dogs come in for training, or the pups come back for boarding there is always someone else loose in the house. The gradual introduction (through a crate) has worked for me

I agree that you have the right idea. Anytime I have fosters, somebody gets left out of the crate. The dogs do not seem to mind and they can all get used to eachother while making them all safe

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Guy, that sounds like the perfect solution. Don't worry about the pup being mad that Tal is out and he/she isn't, they get over it I'm sure.

pssst, Dani's got a nice chocolate fella.......
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Sounds good. We got Zeus when he was 1 1/2 he had been outside for a year so I wasn't sure if he remember his house breaking so he was crated for several months while Mocha was free in the house. Neighter seemed to mind. I did have to get a second crate though because Zeus was too tall for Mocha's 36" crate I had to get a 42" one for Zeus.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

We got Monty when Libby was just about a year and a half, and at that point, she was completely housebroken and no longer chewing things up, so was trustworthy loose in the house (and actually preferred a bed in the living room to her crate, which remains available for use). It didn't bother either of them to have Monty crated with Libby loose in the house. And I have to admit that Monty was MUCH easier to housebreak, etc...possibly because there was an "older" dog around to model after. Monty is a rule-breaker, though (likes to go where he isn't supposed to in order to play with the cats or grab something off of the bookshelves), so he remains behind a baby gate in our "dog room" when we're not around for longer than a couple of hours, even at the age of just over 2 years. Most of the time, he's curled up in his open crate (which is in the dog room) when we get home, though...he loves his crate, even when he has free roam of the house or dog room.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I try and think things thru before proceeding..less chance for problems to occur!

When I got this crate, I went ahead and got the 48" one. It has a divider so I'll need to shorten it a little for a puppy size! I did that with Tal when I brought him home and it worked pretty well.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo was/is crated upstairs in our bedroom while we're away, and Peanut and the cats have free run of the house when we're gone, and it's never been a problem for us. I'm pretty sure Peanut and the cats spend 90% of the time lounging/sleeping in the living room downstairs anyhoo.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!