Fast eaters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast eaters

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFast eaters

I don't remember who suggested it, but I want to thank whoever said to feed fast eaters in big sheet pans. I have been feeding Judy and Bruno in large (18x10") pans and can't believe how that has slowed them down.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Fast eaters

That sounds like a great solution! May I ask, what are the bad things about eating too fast? One of mine wolfs hers down and I haven't noticed any "side effects" but maybe I don't know what to look for.

By the way, I absolutely love all your photos and stories. I especially love the 3 dog pileups with Bruno on top!

Joey is offline Senior Member

Glad it's working for you! Non-dog people must think you're nuts if they see it though. The first time my mom saw Cooper having his breakfast from those treat ball thingys, she couldn't believe it. But it works for slowing him down and keeping him busy, so I will continue to use it. I also think she wasn't a fan of all the tongue lick marks all over her floor!!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm....that sounds like a good idea.

I have taken to feeding Billie her breakfast out of her Kongs. That slows her down too. I can't use her treat ball anymore - SO has a fit about the dog food going everywhere. :

I think the sheet pan will work for dinner though...thanks!!

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

May I ask, what are the bad things about eating too fast?
    It can't be that bad because both of them have always eaten fast with no problems, but I would guess it's better for digestion if some chewing is done instead of swallowing kibble whole. One problem I had with Bruno, he would "dive" into his bowl and make the kibble go all over the floor and Judy kindly cleaned it up for him.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Great suggestion!

I'm going to try this tonight with my inhaler. If that doesn't work, maybe I should toss her food onto the tile floor and have her eat them one by one.
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

I can barely get my hand out of the way when I set Enzo's food down. That boy finishes his meals in about 10 seconds.

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

When I feed Breezy she acts like she hasn't eaten in an entire month! : I know she doesn't chew her kibble because once she barfed it all back up and it looked exactly like it did before it went into her mouth. :-X
    I tried several methods to slow her down (one being a muffin tin) and ended up going with the Brakefast bowl, but now I have to get rid of that because it's made in China.
    Maybe I'll give the baking sheet a try!

Quote Originally Posted by zoesmom
    I'm going to try this tonight with my inhaler. If that doesn't work, maybe I should toss her food onto the tile floor and have her eat them one by one.
    Sometimes I think that would be the way to go with my pups too!

Somebody mentioned using the kong for feeding, how do you keep it from falling out? ??? I want to be fair when I feed, but I think it would be great if Sargeant and Sadie had to slow down a little bit and chewed at least a few kibbles! :

My beagle takes 20+ minutes to eat his food, Sadie is fat and just lays down to eat because she is so lazy, and Sargeant inhales and then they both tower over Toby while he nit picks...I think he does it to bother them.

I have the complete opposite problem...Roger eats soooo slow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast