I dont know what to put here, but this is a question

Thread: I dont know what to put here, but this is a question

Tater Tot Guest

DefaultI dont know what to put here, but this is a question

OK so this weekend we have made plans to go to my parents to hang out either tonight or tomorrow night to have a burn sh** party with them. We love having fires on cold nights while sitting outside, no TV no phones just us talking.

So here is my question, they have their dog (if you remember they just found him one day. No one ever claimed him so they took him in and gave him a home. My other dog died a couple months before that.) Harley and Tater have never met. Harley hasn't really been around other dogs. My mom said when they see dogs on their walks Harley wants to say hello and the other dog for some reason wants to fight. She has had this problem twice now.

Tater has only really been around Bama, Cody's lab. When Tater gets to rough (Bama has arthritis and Tater like to jump on him) we just put Bama in the house and Tater gets the whole yard.

So my question is how do I introduce them this weekend and hope there are no problems? If there is my mom will put Harley in the house and Tater will be in the backyard with us. But I would really love for them to get along so that in the future if my mom needs to watch Tater we know they are friends. And while out their this weekend if we ended up drinking we will stay the night and Tater will sleep with us. But if him and Harley get along him and Harley can sleep together on their dog beds.

Thanks guys, oh I guess I should tell you Harley is a mutt, he looks like a little bit of Lab, Shepard and Akita face. He is all black.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I dont know what to put here, but this is a question

Is Harley neutered Sam? If so, I really doubt there will be any problem. I would just have Harley outside and bring Tater ino the yard to meet.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Tot
    Harley wants to say hello and the other dog for some reason wants to fight. She has had this problem twice now.
    A lot of the time "just wanting to say hello" is the human term for a dog actually being quite rude. The other dogs may be reacting to that...?

I agree that I'd just take him, try and introduce them on neutral territory and see what happens. Personally I would have them off leash, as being on a leash can sometimes alter their behaviour in some undesirable ways. However, if it's not safe, then on leash will do.

I'd bet that they'll probably be just fine.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tater Tot Guest

Ok so now to add another log to the fire. My brother and his girlfriend are coming. She hates dogs and of course Tater still being a puppy he likes to play and smell and lick and maybe no a little jump when no one is paying attention to him.

This means she is going to complain the whole night and if her little girls comes it will be worse because she will cry. Because her mom doesnt like dogs she doesnt like them either.

So this should be fun. I have tried to get them both to pet Tater and Harley while over at my parents and they wont do it. I dont know what is wrong with them.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Maybe just leave Tater at home?

I won't bring my dogs to places where they won't be welcomed and enjoyed, it's not really fair for the person who hates/fears dogs and my guys won't understand why they are being shunned.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Tater Tot Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Maybe just leave Tater at home?

I won't bring my dogs to places where they won't be welcomed and enjoyed, it's not really fair for the person who hates/fears dogs and my guys won't understand why they are being shunned.
    No he is going I am leaving him at home in the cage. And this is my moms house so in a way and she will tell you this Tater is more welcomed there then them. I asked her if her kid is coming and she said she will find out and explain to them that the dogs will be out and if you dont want to be around them dont come or deal with it. My mom cant stand the fact they dont like dogs. They treat her dog like he is some kind of monster when all he wants to do is sit next to them and have his head pet.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Tot
    My mom said when they see dogs on their walks Harley wants to say hello and the other dog for some reason wants to fight. She has had this problem twice now.
    I'm thinking maybe your Mom isn't recognizing some posturing signals that Harley is giving off when he meets the other dogs (i.e, eye contact, holding his tail high, etc). That may be setting the other dogs off.

I would just suggest having leashes available for you and your Mom....I don't think there's a need to put one or the other inside. Just tether the dog to you and put them in a down/stay while you sit around the fire. I have to do that while camping (since they can't be off-leash).

Obviously, play it by ear and see what happens.
    Brenda from Connecticut

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

There was a post here a couple days ago about non-dog people coming to the house.
    Something about the dog living here, you don't. I like dogs better than people. etc.

If brother is thinking about bringing these two into your family, they need to understand what the family is. i.e. Son's girlfriend, non-dog person. Things get serious, thinking about marriage. Son shares that dog is and always will be part of his life. With him comes the dog, and when the dog passes on the the bridge, another will come. Girlfriend is now wife, wife is now a dog lover.

There will be one dog there anyway, likely the two dogs will be more interested in each other than either the girlfriend or daughter.

Others have commented about introducing the dogs
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I'd just take him and let the two dogs figure it out on their own terms (unless, of course, it gets crazy or something, which I doubt). As others have said, I am sure they will be just fine!

As for the girlfriend, try to keep Tater away from her, but really, it's her choice to come to a house with two dogs and sit in a backyard where they will likely be playing rough and running around. Just my opinion, but too bad for her!

blacklabelias is offline Senior Member

Tater and the other dog should be fine, just keep an eye on them to make sure their initial meeting goes well.
    As for your bothers girlfriend, frankly, if she's afraid of dogs that's her problem not yours. If Tater is invited to be there by your mom then she can either choose to come or not.