I'm so frustrated I'm about to scream UPDATE THIS AM
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so frustrated I'm about to scream UPDATE THIS AM

meandclint is offline Senior Member

DefaultI'm so frustrated I'm about to scream UPDATE THIS AM

Puppy crate training is NOT going as planned. House breaking is going fine - only one poop accident in almost 2 weeks and that was when I was gone for the afternoon and absent minded husband had the watch. We've had very few piddle accidents as well and he will actually go to the door and scratch and/or whine when he has to go. Now overnight he can't hold it no matter what I do. He poops in the crate and sometimes jumps up on the door in the morning barking and gets it ALL over everything. This morning was one of those mornings. I have to say it was totally my fault because I was so frustrated - I set the alarm and got up at 3:00 AM this morning and upon walking down to the basement I could smell poop so I just went back to bed. I had been getting up at 4:00 AM for a few mornings and he had already pooped then as well. I take him out between 10 - 11 PM and sometimes he poops but usually he does not however even on those mornings after a later poop he STILL goes in the crate. I'm about to give up the crate and put him in an x-pen at night with newspapers so the cleanup won't be so horrible. He gets a bath every morning and I have him in my only medium sized crate which is a Vari-kennel and the cleanup is so bad - all over the grated door and then I have to climb in to fully clean the sides and back of the plastic crate - this at 5 - 6 AM and it wakes up my girls and they want breakfast. Ugh. I'm afraid to put the kennel in my bedroom because he might not make any noise and still poop and get it everywhere in my room! I don't know what to do and why he is doing this. :-\

He's lucky he's so cute.

UPDATE:

Well I took Nicole (Darwin's Mom) and Memphis' advice and moved the crate into our bedroom. I was skeptical thinking he would wake up in the morning and bark and wake up the girls or he would poop in the middle of the night without warning, etc. I'm happy to say that last night went great! I took him out at 11 and he did not poop <sigh> but i tucked him in any way. We heard him rustling around at 3 AM and so my huband got up with him. I fell back to sleep and then heard them come in and he said he peed and then sat there and would NOT poop and had him out for 20 minutes. But we guessed he didn't have to go. I heard him rustling around again at 5:20 and I took him out and he peed and pooped right away! I put him back in his crate with a nylabone and a chew toy and he was quiet as a mouse until I got him out at 6:15 - YEAH! Fingers and toes crossed (clean paws too) that this continues. Thank you everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

DefaultRe: I'm so frustrated I'm about to scream

What starts out as an accident can quickly become a habit. Sounds like the x pen would be a good idea, at least until his bowel control is improved.

MyLabsMom is offline Senior Member

Stella (Bulldog) did that EXACT thing. I dreaded the morning craziness and having to bathe her also. I started to sleep in the family room (where the crate was) hoping to hear her stir or whine and be able to bring her out. I did that for a week, and during that week (out of exhaustion) in those early morning hours (3 -4) she would begin whining, I would take her out and let her sleep the remainder of the morning next to me. Big mistake. She began to refuse the crate and until this day - it NOT a dog used to a crate. I hate that.

I don't know what to say, Sharon.....I had never experienced anything like that myself either. It does suck, though.....I can attest to that. :-\
    Brenda from Connecticut

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I know exactly what you mean about the morning cleanup. Ralphie (pug) still goes in the crate on a regular basis. I've tried later out times, earlier dinner time, there seems to be no pattern and no rhyme or reason. But in the morning he's so excited he jumps all over the grate at the front and gets poop everywhere and it starts flinging out at me. :-X I feel for ya'. Maybe the xpen would be good to try.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

This may sound dumb, but here goes. Curious how long between trips outside during the day. For getting him onto a pattern, based on your current experience, I wouldn't exceed that time span until successful at that interval.

You said 10-6, 8 hours.
    You also said getting up at 4 (6 hours) and getting up at 3 (5 hours).

I guess I would try up at 2 (4 hours) and see if you can catch him before he goes, and then 1 (3 hours) if necessary. The goal would be to catch it before he goes, and get him used to you getting there in time and taking him out. i.e. he tries to wait for you, but you have to find the limit first.

I almost sound like I know what I am talking about, I don't. Just throwing out ideas, and I am not the one having to get up. At the same time, I would be doing whatever I had to in order to achieve long term success.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Maybe try taking him for a run right before bed??? Running always makes Riley go poopies. So if he runs, hopefully he will poop and also get tired enough to sleep through the night - sounds logical to me, but, I know, life is not always logical!

Good luck! Hope this pattern ends quickly.

memphis is offline Junior Member

Is the puppy ever crated for any amount of time during the day? Do you think it is just related to being crated?
    My childhood dog used to poop all night because she was separated from us(my parents kept her outside in our pool house)....you never saw so much poop in your life. She was totally fine all day inside the house. As soon as we moved her into the house she was fine. I know they say dogs are not spiteful but I have always wondered due to this experience.

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I would put it in your room before doing the Xpen, when Harlee was a pup she would stir when she had to go out and since it was right beside my bed I could hear her, get up and carry her outdoors..its worth a try

Hang in there, you will get sleep soon enough

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Wow, how frustrating! I didn't realize how lucky I was, Riley only had 1 really bad poop incident in the crate where it was everywhere at 4am. She just caught on pretty quickly. It was harder getting her to not just squat and pee or poop in the house than it was with the overnight thing. I used to walk her very late, around midnight, just around my front yard, which was enough to exhaust her. Maybe that's what helped?

Mirabella is offline Senior Member

When Brodie was little, his crate was downstairs and I knew I couldn't hear him whine to go out so I used a baby monitor. I am a light sleeper so I could hear him the minute he started moving around the crate and starting to cry to get out.

Also, did you get my email, Sharon?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast