Leather leash - what width and length?

Thread: Leather leash - what width and length?

DefaultLeather leash - what width and length?

I am ready to invest in a good quality leather leash from JJdog.com, but not sure which width and length to pick ???. My lab is a big boy at 95 lbs, plus he pulls on the leash constantly, so I want to make sure the leash I buy not only gives me good control of him, but also is comfortable to grip on. Any inputs are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leather leash - what width and length?

We have 6' long, 1/2" and 3/4" wide leather leashes. The 1" wide was too wide to feel comfortable. The thicker leather works better than the thinner, and the braided ends hold up better than the sewn ones. The more you use it, the soffter it gets, and rubbing it with a leather conditioner or oil will help even more.

Remember to keep it out of your Lab's reach when not in use - Buddy ate one, except for 3" of leather and the brass clasp! >
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I like a latigo leather leash, as it gets softer and softer with age and use. I like a 3/4" width leash that is 6' long. I also think a 1" wide leash is too wide.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

If he's such a big boy and pulls, remember, the shorter the leash, the more control you have.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I just bought (now Im not exact here) a 1/2 or 3/4, 4 foot leather lead for OB class. I used it fot the first time yesterday. WOW What a difference. 4 foot seems good for me. Gives him enough room for loose walking but I can get controll quickly if need be.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by breezesunshine
    I am ready to invest in a good quality leather leash from JJdog.com, but not sure which width and length to pick ???. My lab is a big boy at 95 lbs, plus he pulls on the leash constantly, so I want to make sure the leash I buy not only gives me good control of him, but also is comfortable to grip on. Any inputs are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    95 lb puller? I tend to regard the lead, after initial training, as an accessory for me. Something to my liking to carry, possibly required where leash laws exist, but not as a tool. I would work on the pulling and get loose lead walking down to a no thought required behavior.

i.e. I know it may not be easy. My son's lab, Newman, is 100 lbs, gentle as can be, but putting a leash on him is a signal to him that he needs to be 3 feet farther away from you that the lead is long. Our DIL will not walk him, and son is really hesitant to put a lead on him. Recall is not bad, so they have their arrangement that works for them. I take care of Newman when they are out of town. I take Hershey Kisses and Newman out together and the pulling is not acceptable to me. Newman was not happy, but I got a GL for him. It helped but did not solve the problem. Tried choke chain collar, made it worse, only used once. Then I went to a prong collar and he got the message. I had to use it 4 or 5 times, and don't have to any more. He does not pull on lead with me. (He still does with my son and DIL.)

I would work the behavior before selecting a lead based on the behavior.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I have two 6 foot leather leashes that are an inch wide. Both have traffic leads on them as well so they can quickly go from 6 foot lengths to right by my side in no time. This was really handy when I was first training them but is not needed now.

Like others have mentioned, don't scrimp on these. Buy a really good quality leather leash that is braided and you will have a leash that will last you for life and only get more comfortable to use the longer it is used. Use conditioners and waterproofing so it will saty taken care of. Width depends on the size of your hand and what you are comfortable with.

Good luck and whatever you get, if it is leather it is more then likely going to be more comfortable for you to use then any other leash you have been using

Ken

I have so many leashes it/s not funny. I have leash hangars by all 3 doors with leashes hanging on them. I like my short leash for my pulling dog. The closer you keep them to you, the better they walk. Atleast that's been my experience. I have longer leashes for our walks in the wooded dirt trail area.