They do learn how to get their needs met

Thread: They do learn how to get their needs met

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultThey do learn how to get their needs met

Bess was usually a very direct Lab. Often, when she believed supper was late, she picked up her stainless steel food dish and threw it over the kitchen floor until the banging sound yielded results. She was a sponge for affection and closeness and her favorite position, if allowed, was lying down next to me with her nose within inches of mine, exuding 2nd hand Lab breath for me to breathe.

Puff is usually more discrete. She wants to be next to me, touching me, when I'm sitting up in bed with my laptop, or reading, or sleeping. But she resists my occasional invitations to snuggle with her head somewhat near mine. Instead, she prefers her head to be near my feet or her butt touching my calf while she takes her preferred coiled-C or J posture.

But tonight as 5 o'clock (her supper time) approached, I was reclining on the bed with the electric mattress pad set to 3 out of 5 (it was cold), engrossed in reading my latest issue of "The New Yorker" (magazine) which had just arrived.

The alarm clock in Puff's stomach must've been going off with the message "critical times require inventive measures".

Puff realigned her body so her head and feet were parallel with mine.

A Lab head began poking underneath and jogging up my magazine so it was difficult to read.

"Just a little bit," I tried consoling, "let me finish this article."

Each request bought about 10 seconds more time before more vigorous pushes and shoves took place.

I kept trying, but the Lab head kept inching closer until finally its tongue could begin washing my face, accompanied by a rapidly beating tail and plaintive pleading, inviting eyes. Any more reading was impossible.

I fixed her supper -- an appetizer of fish oil capsule and G&C tab (each smeared with peanut butter) followed by a main course of a very small slice of salmon, Kirkland C&R kibble, cooked frozen green beans, and water.

I have a suspicion that I'll be visited by more of this same behavior.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: They do learn how to get their needs met

Nice story, well told.

Although economists would have you believe that man is a rational animal, I think that really, dogs are the ultimate Rational Men. They calculate precisely how much effort is required to get what they want, they weigh the odds, and they learn how to work The System. And you, Bob, are The System.

Lucky.N.Lucy Guest

You have a way with words. I could see the scene played out very clearly in my mind's eye!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by theoconbrio
    Nice story, well told.

Although economists would have you believe that man is a rational animal, I think that really, dogs are the ultimate Rational Men. They calculate precisely how much effort is required to get what they want, they weigh the odds, and they learn how to work The System. And you, Bob, are The System.
    I like it. I watch Hershey Kisses, DW, and self and have convinced myself that Dw and myself are the ones being trained. I often watch other people and their dogs, and come to similar conclusions. This was even true of our puppy class trainer and her Giant Schnauzer, a really well behaved animal.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Cute.

Hmmm...I think Morgan and Tanner have been in secret communication with Puff and Bess as they have been exhibiting the same behavior. I often wonder if when I am away from the house, they are on the computer conspiring with other dogs around the world talking about training their owners, techniques, tips and strategies.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Oh yeah...most definitely. When I am on the computer at home, Tal usually just lies on the floor beside my chair. If he needs to go potty, and I don't respond, he will eventually come over and just shove the little keyboard shelf underneath the desk!

If I am reading a magazine, he will do the same with me that you described! Sometimes you do wonder who is training who!