Update on Angus: Poop Watch 2008
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Angus: Poop Watch 2008

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultUpdate on Angus: Poop Watch 2008

Well, we had two poopies tonight, I suppose thanks to the half a loaf of bread he has had in the last 24 hours. We are trying to keep his stool very bulked up. I don't know how long to continue with the bread, though.

Anyway. Kevin toted the poop back to the house for a poo-check. I am glad I have an iron stomach. :-X It came close to spoiling my dinner for me.

I found nothing. No traces of bone. Looked perfectly normal.

He acts totally fine. A little clingy, because he knew I was plenty mad at him last night. He has on his appeasement face. Other than that, though, energy level and interest in food is good.

I am nervous that the bone is still hanging out in there, though, maybe in his stomach and hasn't moved to his intestines yet. Do you guys think there is a possibility that the bone will break down/disintegrate?

Does anyone know of something that closely approximates stomach acid that I could experiment with?

:-[

I have the other three bones that he did not eat. I looked at them again tonight. They didn't look as big as last night, when seen through the eyes of panic. But they still look too big to go through his intestines.

Well, guess we'll just keep watching for the next few days.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Update on Angus: Poop Watch 2008

I'm pretty sure bones don't disintegrate in the stomach, but the good news is that he is pooping. If he doesn't - that would signal a blockage, so lets hope for more and that the bone comes out soon I don't know what type of acid would simulate the stomach, but I bet if you did a google search, I'm sure you could find out.

Oh geez! Again?! I'm just seeing this now...Good thoughts for Angus and good poopage!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

Sorry, Connie, but I think this will probably be "Poop Watch 2008, Act I."

Good news that you have movement. Here's to many more in the near future.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Still hoping and praying that there is no harm done. Keep us posted.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Novice here! I think you being concerned is reasonable. I don't think panic is necessary. I would just monitor the output, making sure it continues if nothing else. HK passed a 3-4 inch long section of bully stick, so it is amazing what they can pass and is the basis for my comment. I would not expect the bone to be digested, it will likely pass through in near the same state it entered.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

There is a chance he will throw it up as well. When Zeus got a peice of one of his bones off he threw it back up the next day. Hopefully it comes out soon.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

It's amazing what can go through that pipeline. Wesley ate a good 4-6" worth of his leash when he was younger. The output was slimy and gnarled but recognizable as leather. No ill effects at all.

And speaking of iron stomach, I kept all the pieces, re-building the leash until I was 99.9% sure it had all been, er, processed. :-X :-X :-X

Hoping for the same result for Angus.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Novice here! I think you being concerned is reasonable. I don't think panic is necessary. I would just monitor the output, making sure it continues if nothing else. HK passed a 3-4 inch long section of bully stick, so it is amazing what they can pass and is the basis for my comment. I would not expect the bone to be digested, it will likely pass through in near the same state it entered.
    This makes me feel a lot better. It was not the diameter that concerned me so much, but the length. It's good to know it is possible...

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

bibber is offline Senior Member

You know those kitchen sponges, yellow with the green scrubby side? Bodie's passed a couple of those. Whole.

And I was on the same page as Nathan, my first thought was "Poop Watch 2008, January edition".

Continued good thought for Angus. Hopefully today you'll see some results.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast