Bear is having a weird day (I'm very concerned)***UPDATE***

Thread: Bear is having a weird day (I'm very concerned)***UPDATE***

DefaultBear is having a weird day (I'm very concerned)***UPDATE***

2 days ago playing on the field she broke her declaw and the vet had to cut it about 1/3 far from the base. She didnt like the cutting, but didnt even know she had broken her declaw when she was playing.

Anyhow, the ver sent her antibiotic but they told me is very mild and what it woud cause is vomiting, which she hasnt done.

Last night, I heard her panting but thought maybe it was because she was feeling hot, opened the window and went back to bed.
    This morning she ate berakfast, later we went for a walk and came to play in the swimming pool, at this time I left them alone in the house for about 10 mins (she never gets in the swimming pool if I dont throw the duck) I came home and they were waiting for me at the door, Bear was very sad and with her tail between her legs; I tried to cheer her up but she was not herself, just lying down and as if someone had beaten her up (they were alone), 5 mins later she was back to her old self and played more.

Day went on and in the afternoon, we were going to the other house where I have the washing machine (3 houses from here) and she started acting weird and sad. We came home, I tried to feed her and she would eat but not chew the food.

I took her to the vet, they checked temperature and it is actually a little low, but doesnt seem to have any problem with her jaw. The vet said he doesnt think it is any sickness but just a behaviour "thing" and probably she would take advantage of it so I do extra things for her, but I definitely DON'T think so.

Now she is lying next to me, which rarely happens.

I need some advice, I am very concerned. Thanks

****UPDATE*****

Bear could eat this morning, she can chew like normal. At some point I noticed she was having trouble again with her mouth, contracting a muscle on the right side of her head, I massage her around the jaw and on her head, she went back to normal and could eat normally.

I will keep a close eye on her and let you know if anything new happens

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Bear is having a weird day (I'm very concerned)

I can't offer any advice because I have never experienced anything like that. I think I would get a second opinion tho. I figure each of us knows our dog better than anyone. I'm inclined to think that it is more than just a "mood" of some kind.

The antibiotics could be making her feel sick. They can upset the stomach. that might account for the panting.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

tomorrow is the last day of antibiotics, I will keep a close eye on her tomorrow and the rest of the weekend. I feel terrible, we are leaving on vacation on tuesday, I cannot think of leaving her here if she doesnt bounce back during the weekend.
    She ate her meal about and hour ago, I did softened it (contrary to what the vet said, he said that she could be manipulating me and not to soften her food). My husband says I'm a trouble mom, but I know she would try to eat even id she had to swallow the entire pebbles of food.

I will keep you posted and please if anyine else thinks of any other possible reason, please tell me.

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Agree, the meds might be making her feel nauseous or just 'not right.' Maybe give her some rice and boiled chicken until she's through with the meds?
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

georgie is offline Senior Member

I thought maybe the antibiotics were making her stomach upset & maybe that is why she is panting. How does the dewclaw area look? If she continues to act "funny" I would call the vet. You do know your dog better then anyone. I hope it's just a tummy upset. Do you think she could have some pain?

jan elaine Guest

I don't have any advice except that you do know your dog better than anyone including the vet. Hope she gets back to normal soon!