Houdini

Thread: Houdini

DefaultHoudini

So yesterday afternoon (around 4:00) at work I get a call from SO. The conversation goes like this:

SO: Honey, did you come home for lunch today?
    Me: No.
    SO: Are you sure?
    Me: Yes, I'm sure. Why?
    SO: That's really weird. Really weird. Huh.
    Me: What's going on?
    SO: Well - I put Champ in his crate today before I left. I'm positive. I locked the crate door - and double checked to be sure it was shut. I'm SURE it was shut. But when I got home a few minutes ago, Champ was sitting on the couch, gazing out the window. So I went over to his crate - which was still locked. So I thought maybe you came home and let him out, and forgot to put him back in. But if you didn't come home... how did he get out?

So, we decided, either some dog-loving crook came over, broke into our house, let our dog out of his crate, locked the crate, and left without stealing anything, or Champ managed to get out of his crate.

As it turns out, SO forgot to lock the bottom latch on the side gate of the crate (we don't let Champ in/out the side gate), and Champ must have squeezed through the bottom half of the side gate. We're still not sure how he did this without totally bending and destroying the gate, but he did it.

The good news - he was a VERY good boy - didn't chew anything he wasn't supposed to, no messes in the house. From all appearances, he busted out of his crate so he could lay around on the couch instead. Perhaps trying to prove that he is good enough to be left out of his crate. Although I know from stories here that he's just trying to lure me into a false sense of security before destroying something big.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Houdini

My old dog use to do this I had a collapsible crate and the top just hooked over the wire side. My dog figured out that he could use his claw and pull in the side and free up enough space to squeeze through the top.

I found this by finding some clumps of fur on the top of the crate. I wound up having to wrap some wire around the top of the crate so he could no longer do this.

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

Clever guy. That would do it for me... he'd be having free range privileges from now on. Until he ate the remote or learned how to open the fridge...

Seamus and Flynn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

How funny. ;D

That would freak me out. I would have come up with all kinds of crazy, paranoid explanations and not found the real problem for a month. :

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by tricialeigh4jc
    Perhaps trying to prove that he is good enough to be left out of his crate. Although I know from stories here that he's just trying to lure me into a false sense of security before destroying something big.
    Yup.....ask Endofile about this. Not that any of his tales were HK's fault ;D. Labbies are such clever creatures!!!!!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

Shadow used to escape from a locked crate when we first got her, too - and her nickname was Houdini! Found out there was a screw missing on the left side of the crate (plastic, Vari-Kennel type) and she could wedge her nose in the corner of the door, push up where the screw was missing, and make just big enough an opening to squeeeeeeeeeeze herself out. How did we find out? We put her in the crate, locked it, told her to show us how she was escaping, and she did! ;D
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

MumtoEllie is offline Senior Member

We had a foster once that did this. We would only latch the top hook and she would squeeze out as soon as we left.

She was a really lovely girl and seemed genuinely distressed at being put in the crate so we finally just stopped using it.