"Musher's Secret" users -- how do you apply it?

Thread: "Musher's Secret" users -- how do you apply it?

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Default"Musher's Secret" users -- how do you apply it?

("Musher's Secret" is a soft, non-staining wax that one applies to a dog's paws to protect against iceballs forming between toes and their pads from the salts and other chemicals used to melt ice.)

I can imagine that with a more cooperative and less suspicious Lab (than my Puff) I could just sit in a chair and have her give me one paw at a time to apply it.

But Puff isn't that cooperative so, when I'm lying down on the bed, I have Puff hop up beside me and lie down, then hold her body somewhat still and prevent escaping with one arm and hand while applying it to each paw and between the pads with the other.

I've recently tried rewarding her after each paw with a treat (animal cracker) and she's becoming much more cooperative (DUH!! : ) ;D

Any other techniques, suggestions on position to use?? How do you apply it?
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jeep274 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: "Musher's Secret" users -- how do you apply it?

I guess I'm lucky. I put Kody in a down stay on the floor and do one paw at a time. After we finish he gets one of his favorite biscuits. He is quite cooperative. The only thing he really gives us trouble with is nail trimming. :

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

When I do it, I get them when they're lying down and I stick each foot in the container and swirl it around. Then I rub it in with my fingers. When my husband does it, he gets a glob on his fingers and rubs it in that way. They're both good and wait until we're done. They know Musher's is usually followed by a walk.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

BobPr,

You're going to have to have a talk with Puff.

The first time, with my 'Mad Bomber hat' on, I had to put HK in a down. From there she just laid still as I applied it to each paw. Since then, I show up with the hat on ('means time outside for more that p&p) and the jar. She jumps to the couch and waits for me to put it on. Lucky me! Lucky HK!
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.