My puppy won't eat her dry food.

View Poll Results: Does anyone know what I should do?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chang the brand

5 83.33%
  • Use canned food

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My puppy won't eat her dry food.

KellyJean Guest

DefaultMy puppy won't eat her dry food.

??? Hello all. I just bought an 8 week old chocolate Labrador. I've had her for about 4 days. I started free feeding her, and she'd eat throughout the day. But in the last two days it seems like she'll let it just sit there for longer periods of time. She'll have a few bites, then walk away. Or sometimes, she'll be all excited when I'm filling her dish in the morning, then she may only eat a few bites of it. I know what type of food the breeder bought, and I know that she was mixing canned food in it (which I do not use; most of it gives pups diarreah). But I've never fed Pedegree, and didn't plan to feed it to her. I've tried mixing other things in it, even warm water, and she doesn't seem interested. This is the first time I've tried free feeding...is this a bad idea? She's not losing weight, but doesn't seem to be gaining it either. And other than this, she's perfectly fine and healthy. Anyone got any suggestions? Right now I've got her on Beneful's puppy formula. Maybe there's something better out there?. I'd rather not make an experiment out of my puppy, and keep switching her food. If anyone has information and could help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks. ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My puppy won't eat her dry food.

Assuming a)the bag of food is fresh (dogs can smell 'off ' food long before we can) and b) the vet says she's healthy, put the food down for no more than 10 minutes. If she doesn't eat, then take it away for 30 minutes - hour (normally I'd say until next scheduled meal, but not with an 8 week old) . Try again, giving her no more than 10 minutes.

Healthy dogs won't starve themselves, and you do not want to create a picky eater...

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

First, get her off Beneful. It's crap. There are LOTS of better food choices out there for not alot of $$. What was the breeder feeding her? She should still be on that, frankly, unless it was Beneful in which case you need to switch her foods gradually.

Second, stop free freeding. Figure out how much she's supposed to weigh and what you are to feed her, and get her on schedule. Since she's 8 weeks she should be eating 3 meals a day at whatever ration they recommend for the food.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beerfish is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    First, get her off Beneful. It's crap. There are LOTS of better food choices out there for not alot of $$. What was the breeder feeding her? She should still be on that, frankly, unless it was Beneful in which case you need to switch her foods gradually.

Second, stop free freeding. Figure out how much she's supposed to weigh and what you are to feed her, and get her on schedule. Since she's 8 weeks she should be eating 3 meals a day at whatever ration they recommend for the food.
    Agreed, I'm sure some lab owners are happy to free feed but it's so much easier with a pup to set a regular schedule for feeding in my opinion. You know exactly how much they are eating and it also helps regulate their pooping times better.

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Bentley was the same after his litter mates went home apparently and he was the lone puppy for about a week and a half.
    Since he has been home (since Monday) with Rowan ~ I've gotten him up to 3/4 c of Orijen (three times a day). I add a smidgen of water to it.
    (I too ~ would not let your puppy free feed). How many treats is she getting??
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Echoing the others. Beneful is definately not good food. There are so many better foods available. I also agree on not free feeding. We brought Angus home at 9 weeks old and his breeder fed Eukanuba lrg breed puppy. Of course it was working and it isn't a "bad" food (although there are better choices out there) So we used it too. Angus needed time to acclimate to his new home & routines. At first he wasn't overly interested in his food. but in a week or so he was cleaning his bowl twice a day . I would definately do some food ingredient research though. Good luck, and post a pic of your new pup if you can!

KellyJean Guest

Thank you everyone for your input. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good puppy formula that's also healthy (no fillers, by-products, etc.)? I've done some research on puppy foods, but right now we've got an entire 50lb. bag of the Benful stuff (which was purchased last week, before bringing our pup home). Right now we're on somewhat of a budget, any suggestions on brands?

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

I would suggest Orijen, but that is my personal preference. Maybe you could contact the company? I know Orijen and Nutro will take the 'food' back if you aren't satisfied and give you a full refund.
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Many people on the board have a lot of success with pro plan and eukanuba, those foods aren't too expensive.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

KellyJean Guest

This is Ruger, our newest addition! ;D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast