I Think Tal Must Be Going Thru a Phase

Thread: I Think Tal Must Be Going Thru a Phase

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultI Think Tal Must Be Going Thru a Phase

Occasionally, when I go out in the evening during the week, Tal certainly doesn't like it because I have been gone all day. That's to be expected. Sometimes When I leave I can hear him jump up and bark a time or two in an effort to get me to return. He did this last night. This morning before I left, he did the same thing. Usually is alot calmer when I leave in the AM because I think he is used to it. When he did it this morning, tho, he gave a half-hearted effort. Of course I just went on and when I returned last night (gone for about 2 hours) everything was in place and his response was normal.

My gut feel is that this is a phase of his maybe trying to get me to stay home when I need to leave and I wanted your opinions. Oh yeah, when I know I wil go out for a bit in the evening, I play a little longer fetch and training with him, played with him at home for a bit, and fed him just before I left. So it's never like I just blow in, pet him, then leave immediately.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I Think Tal Must Be Going Thru a Phase

Maybe he is just voicing his objection to your leaving. They say whenever you leave, don't make over them, but I can't resist a good bye hug or kiss and say "good bye, I'll be back soon", back out of the door saying "Mommy loves you".

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    Maybe he is just voicing his objection to your leaving. They say whenever you leave, don't make over them, but I can't resist a good bye hug or kiss and say "good bye, I'll be back soon", back out of the door saying "Mommy loves you".
    Probably is....and I never make a huge deal when I leave. And the rountine when leaving is always the same. Months ago, he got to where he would signal he wanted to go potty before I left...this after I had just let him out. :

It just occured to me he tested the waters when we were playing fetch a few days ago. I am staying consistent with him, tho.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hmm. How old is he?

Billie had a phase where she didn't want to go in her crate before I left in the morning. She knew I was leaving but she didn't want me to go or some such problem. I increased the yumminess of the treats and VOILA! we were back to sprinting to her crate.

It's probably just a phase. Billie was about 2 years old when she started in with the "nooo Mommy don't leave me" thing. It's more and more apparent to me how much dogs and kids really ARE alike in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BillieIsMyKid
    Hmm. How old is he?

Billie had a phase where she didn't want to go in her crate before I left in the morning. She knew I was leaving but she didn't want me to go or some such problem. I increased the yumminess of the treats and VOILA! we were back to sprinting to her crate.

It's probably just a phase. Billie was about 2 years old when she started in with the "nooo Mommy don't leave me" thing. It's more and more apparent to me how much dogs and kids really ARE alike in many ways.
    Tal just turned 18 months on 17 January

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Rowan things Tal needs a sibling Guy!
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

Quote Originally Posted by myfavoritedog

Tal just turned 18 months on 17 January
    Yep. It's a clingy phase. Just like a toddler. ;D kids. hehehehe