HELP! Angus just ate a whole chicken thigh UPDATE 2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Angus just ate a whole chicken thigh UPDATE 2

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultHELP! Angus just ate a whole chicken thigh UPDATE 2

Here's an update from my sweet mom, just in. She emailed from my computer to let me know how things are going.

The boys are both in excellent form. Angus is especially playful. Even more so after the bread. I had him separated from Simon. As I only let him out to potty. He came back in for bread instantly. I have been throwing ball with Simon. He loves it.

Well so far. Angus is solid. No problems. He is "Same as he ever was:" I'll hang around and see how the bread and peanut butter does.
    So...so far so good I guess. Tonight will be very telling, I think. The last time he ate something like this he did it on a Wednesday night, and by Thursday night he was having a lot of trouble. Keep sending good thoughts please! Please!

PS Isn't it hilarious that my mom quotes "Talking Heads?"

Well, talked to the vet this morning. My regular vet is not there today :-\ so I hope nothing happens. The others are fine, I'm sure, but I have a very high comfort level with my usual vet.

Anyway, the front desk (very knowledgeable) said the same as e-vet last night: Bulk him up with bread and just watch him. She contends that bones of any kind (raw or otherwise) don't break down at all, so that made me a little nervous. :-\ I don't see how a whole chicken thigh bone is going to make it through his system. But I guess, at least we know to watch. :-[

Mom is going over today to hang out with him. She sat with him last time before we took him in for obstruction surgery, so she definitely knows what she's looking for. She's going to keep loading him up with bread all day.

Prayers for a good outcome would be appreciated.

>

Angus.

GAH!

Well, really *I* am the problem.

I was making them some chicken for training treats. Left the chicken on the counter to cool before I tore it into bits. Angus was *really* hovering around the chicken. We just thought it was funny.

:

I heard the glass baking pan on the counter. Got in there and he had his face in the pan. > > > There were four chicken thighs. Now there are three.

I should have never left those on the counter, especially when I knew he was so interested.

Chicken thigh bones are about 3 1/2" long and 1/4" to 1/2" wide.

Called two e-clinics. Neither has an endoscope. Think tomorrow morning would be too late to scope?

Both advised just watching and waiting. Great. One advised bread. I just gave him four slices. Think if I keep his tummy really full I'll have a better chance of it passing?

So, those who feed raw: What are the chances that this bone will break down in his system? Does the cooking process inhibit the ability to break the bones down? I don't really think I have a worry about splintering. I'm 99% sure he just inhaled without chewing. I was on top of him in a flash. Just not quite quick enough. :

Anyone? I'm freaking out. I don't want to go through another blockage surgery!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP! #$&*#@ Angus just ate a whole chicken thigh

Cinder has eaten chicken bones out of the garbage without incident. I was freaking out too though, she's also had surgery for blockages. Hope all goes well.

brody is offline Senior Member

sadly (true confessions time here) my dogs have gotten into bones a couple of times - and when I fed raw they got them often

to date (TOUCH WOOD) they have processed the bones well I would not rush to scope him unless there seems to be a problem - you'll have a couple of worried days and perhaps some constipation but I'm leaning towards thinking this will end up ok

(and everybody knows I scream vet fast)

hang in there
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Do you think he swallowed the thigh whole, bone and all, or did he have time to chew it up? (Bruno would have swallowed it whole. ) I'm guessing he probably chewed it and when you caught him with his face in the pan he was going for seconds. My grandmother used to feed her dog cooked chicken bones all the time without incident.
    Good thoughts of smooth passing through with no blockage.

Felix Guest

Dumb mom you have Angus!! ;D

I think and hope it tasted good !! 8)

georgie is offline Senior Member

I hope he passes it without any problems. Oh Angus....I guess the temptation was too great. He must be very fast Connie.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Good thought coming your way. I hope he passes them quickly. They are fast movers when they want to be huh?

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    ...They are fast movers when they want to be huh?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He will probably be fine. Cooked chicken is always a risk, but the odds are that he will be ok. Mine have gotten into cooked bones more than several times and lived to tell the tale. They have also picked up and eaten cooked chicken bones on walks from where idiots chuck them on the ground. :

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Thanks you guys. Comforting to know this has happened to other people too.

M&J, I am pretty sure he didn't chew...I think he gulped down the whole thing. I know his m.o. : and with something as wonderful as cooked chicken, there is no chewing.

I don't know for sure, but I was in there pretty quick...

I actually wish he had chewed it, because I could just load him up on bread for the sharp edges. I'm more worried about the size of this bone and that it would break down enough to pass. :-\ ???

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast