Deer Antlers? Anyone ever give them?

Thread: Deer Antlers? Anyone ever give them?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultDeer Antlers? Anyone ever give them?

OK, so the dog food lady talked me into trying a deer antler today for the boys to chew on. What's the skinny on these? Anyone ever give them?

We had a long talk about blockages and she assured me she has never seen a dog break off a hunk. She compared them to marrow bones.

I just got one to test it out. Thought I'd run it by the great minds and see if it sent up any red flags. TIA!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Deer Antlers? Anyone ever give them?

I bought for my boys they could care less. I know of a few other pretty knowledgeable Lab people that give them without incident. I;d still supervise until you see how they chew

wa-lab is offline Senior Member

We've gotten them twice for Piper and she loves them. So far she hasn't broken off any big chunks, but we always supervise just in case.

I went to get her one for Christmas at a local store this year and I couldn't believe the cost compared to size. We ordered our first one from petexpertise.com and it was way bigger for our money. So I waited and ordered from them again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Connie, I've given them for years. My husband is a deer hunter, so I have a ready supply. The good thing about the antlers is that they usually just shave little bits off, I've rarely had a hunk break off, and then only if my husband didn't cut the tines off before giving the antler to the dog. Of all the chewies, I think they are the safest.

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

Caleb loved his Antlerz. It kind of ground down as he chewed it (what looked like flakes of skin). Eventually he did get it small enough that I took it away because I was afraid he would swallow it. I put the word out to some co-workers whose husbands and kids hunt that I'd be interested in any racks they didn't want.