Aggreesive Breeds
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aggreesive Breeds

DefaultAggreesive Breeds

I have seen it many times on this forum. Aggreesive breeds Pitbulls, Mastiffs, Rots, etc. Are defended by saying the breed is not aggressive that its the person on the leash and the training.
    I have trouble with this logic. We all have labs (or most of us do) they were breed for retrieving and the water. While a few don't like either its fair to generalize the bread by saying they love both. Why can we not say that breeds that were bred for fighting and protection are not aggressive by nature? While I could probably train Tucker to hate the water and retrieving, I am still trying to change what its natural for him to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Aggreesive Breeds

Um, I've met a ton of labradors with nasty temperaments...who could give pit bulls a run for their money in the nasty department. It is about the owner, the training, and also about breeding. If you breed a nasty dog to a nasty dog and train it to be nasty, it's gonna be nasty. If you breed a nice dog to a nice dog and treat it nasty, you have a 50/50 shot of a nasty dog. If you breed a nasty dog and raise it with love, you have a 50/50 shot.

I know a lot of pits, rots and mastiffs that are wonderful pets.

Dogs do what we ask them to do.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I am sure that I will show some ignorance, but I do not accept that aggression is grossly genetic.

I do not understand dog/dog aggression outside a wild dog pack protecting its own pack. I do not see how it translates to domesticated animals. The Pit Bull is a potential except for me with specific lineage. The dogs selected for breeding by the owners may have been the most vicious for the purposes of dog fights, but certainly not the whole breed. IMHO

Domesticated dog/human aggression in my opinion has to be a trained behavior. The dogs have learned to be dependent on humans for food, shelter, and general care. Even the guard dog breeds. I have seen guard dogs, been threatened by same, taken under 'passive' control by their handler. No lead. I have seen this particular dog then brought to me, off lead, and sit to be petted by me. These dogs have had their aggression trained into them by their handlers and the breeds involved have probably been selected for their size, i.e. large enough to take down a man Just watching police dog training, the same dog used to take down a suspect, being taken into an elementary school classroom. Nope I don't buy that the agression is a genetic trait. Some may be easier tot rain to be aggressive, but I believe all can be trained to be good cicitzens.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I agree. Any individual of any breed can be 'aggressive' by definition and that is usually due to a combination of bad breeding and bad handling on the owners part (lack of socializing, training, etc.). However, there ARE many breeds who have a genetic disposition towards aggression - whether that be aggression towards their own kind, other animals or people.

The odds are that if purchase a dog, let's just say a Lab, from a good, reputable breeder who produces dogs for temperament (amongst other things - health, working ability, appearance, etc.) and you love/train/socialize that dog, the chances are that you won't experience aggression issues with that dog. I'm not saying that it WON'T happen, but the odds are highly stacked in your favor. Afterall, a proper temperament is hallmark of the Lab breed. The reason most of us own Labradors, I assume, is because of their famed temperament.

The above can be said for all other breeds. You purchase any purebred dog from a good breeder, love/raise/train and socialize it properly, and you will probably have a good dog on your hands. But breed tendencies MUST be taken into account with every breed. Odds are that even your well loved/raised/trained/socialized Pit Bull could still become dog aggressive - it is in the genes. Your well trained/loved/raised/socialized Rottweiler could still show intolerance to other males. When dogs have been bred for specific traits over the course of hundreds of years, those traits, good or bad, are still very much in the genes.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Nope I don't buy that the aggression is a genetic trait. Some may be easier tot rain to be aggressive, but I believe all can be trained to be good cicitzens.]
    How are you defining 'aggression'? proper police and guard dogs are not actually 'aggressive'. A truly aggressive dog would be completely unsuitable for police or guard work. Having anything other than an utterly dependable, rock solid, stable temperament would be a disaster for any dog that has been trained to use it's teeth on man.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I guess I wasn't differentiating between controlled and uncontrolled aggression. My bad. I guess my main issue was the classification of a breed. I have an issue with putting any label on a group, just because 'it' is in that group.

Lets pick a different example. True Story 50+ years ago.

10 year old boy, me, walks to school, passes house 'x' every day. Today there is a Dachsund on the porch of one of the houses I pass. He has been there before and has watched me go by. Today, he launches off the porch, straight for my leg, breaks skin, and won't let go. Is that aggression? I did nothing to provoke him. Never did it before, and never did it after that. I think he just didn't get his morning treat from his owner. Although that is not what I said at the time, nor my parents, or his owner.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I dont think its genetic ether. I know someone who has a lab, keeps him outside, unsocialized, only out for hunting. This beautiful labby tried to bite at my face not once but twice! Now I am a animal lover dont care what it is I am on the floor snugglin and lovin on whatever animal wants my attention. But this dog I am completely afraid of.
    On another note I knew someone who had Pitts, these dogs were all to happy to sit in my lap and be loved on, kisses and hugs, didnt matter they were up for it.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

This is the way I see it.

Dogs are like cars. There are many different types of cars with many different qualities. Racecars, SUVs, Trucks, etc. Their tendencies are there when they are put together but it's the driver who decides how hard that car is driven or what purpose the car fills. (ie hauling, towing, racing)

I believe that certain breeds have certain tendencies based on their historical purposes but I believe their humans influence every reaction after the basic tendencies.

When you put a fast sportscar in the hands of a stupid kid you get disaster. It's the same with dogs. If you put a dog with certain traits/strengths/weaknesses with someone who doesn't understand how to properly handle it you can get a trainwreck, but in the hands of an educated respectful person you can get magic.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Page
    This is the way I see it.

Dogs are like cars. There are many different types of cars with many different qualities. Racecars, SUVs, Trucks, etc. Their tendencies are there when they are put together but it's the driver who decides how hard that car is driven or what purpose the car fills. (ie hauling, towing, racing)

I believe that certain breeds have certain tendencies based on their historical purposes but I believe their humans influence every reaction after the basic tendencies.

When you put a fast sportscar in the hands of a stupid kid you get disaster. It's the same with dogs. If you put a dog with certain traits/strengths/weaknesses with someone who doesn't understand how to properly handle it you can get a trainwreck, but in the hands of an educated respectful person you can get magic.
    Well said!

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

momofalab is offline Senior Member

Just looking from the other side of the fence, I had a pitbull. He was my Heart Dog! I can count the number of times people would walk to the other side of the street when we were walking. Especially ones that knew his breed. Then there were others that would love him up, and ask later what he was. As soon as they hear Pitt, they froze! I think a lot of your "Mean Dogs" have gotten bad raps. My Pitt would love you to death, I never trusted him 100%, yet I don't trust any dog 100%. We never read about the lab that bites someones arm off, or the Golden that attacked a small child. They are out there. You also don't ever hear the storys where the Pittbull saves a man from a burning building, or where a Rottie pulls a child out of a swimming pool. It happens....but the media would rather report the traits of the dog, Mean Pit, the loving Lab.

I do believe it is how you raise them. Animals are a lot like children. You raise them well, and they will turn into decent individuals.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast