Dozer has Potential!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dozer has Potential!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

CoolDozer has Potential!

I think he has potential anyway. Yesterday my sister and I were working on a few skills with Dozer and when we were done his lesson it was time for play. I tossed one of his treats into the pool (little kiddie pool) and he leapt* over the side into the water and grabbed the treat. He did this several more times and we switched it up to a toy. He kept retrieving it! WOW! Anyway, I'm thinking there is a chance (right now a slight one) that he could be a pretty good dock diving dog! He went into the water gung ho and with no hesitation, and then he even brought the toy back ... holy cow. His Mama is proud.

We're going to take him to the river on the weekend, on a long line, to see if he can swim. I think hubby is going to take the kayak and paddle close by incase there are any issues (like Dozer gets too far out and finds he can't actually swim).

*When I say "leapt" I more mean clambered because right now he's not quite tall enough to clear the side of it in a single bound.

Sorry no pictures, my camera is broken and needs to be sent off for repairs.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

That's the really neat thing about dogs - they all have potential for something .. nice Dozer is turning out to be such a lab
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about Dozer being able to swim. If he will, he will know haw to get back to shore. You might find, aka Hershey Kisses, that he loves to run in the water, splash in the water, but no way is he going to go deeper than he can stand. HK did that until the day she turned 9 months old. That day she decided to swim and hasn't stopped since. Okay, the river freezes over in the winter and she can't.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

Definitely dock dog material. Get that boy to a dock ASAP!! You'll be addicted very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    I wouldn't worry about Dozer being able to swim. If he will, he will know haw to get back to shore. You might find, aka Hershey Kisses, that he loves to run in the water, splash in the water, but no way is he going to go deeper than he can stand. HK did that until the day she turned 9 months old. That day she decided to swim and hasn't stopped since. Okay, the river freezes over in the winter and she can't.
    We are over cautious for a reason. Cybil loved the water and would go in over her head as soon as she hit the water. However, my beloved girl, couldn't swim worth beans. She loved to try, oh did she ever, but she was a sinker.

Snowflake, I'm hoping to! I think my friends have a dock off their pond. I am going to ask them if I can borrow it.
    ~Samantha

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

WTG Dozer !

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo learned to fetch with water retrieves, no joke. He had no understanding of the concept before he hit the water, but it was like something just clicked. It took months for him to transfer those skills to dry land retrieving, but eventually he got it.

Can't WAIT to see you guys at an ODD event!! Will he be 6 months by september?
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

MNLab is offline Senior Member

Dozer you'll be jumping huge in no time, putting up some great dock dogs records and wowing crowds of spectators! Way to go Dozer!
    Chantel and...

Daisy, Hayshaker She's Utterly Unforgettable, CGC
    Lola, our mellow yellow gal. Gotcha on 1-7-07

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

ahh...the potential of puppies! I love it, he can do anything he puts his mind to!
    'Don't grow up too quickly, lest you forget how much you love the beach.'
    ~ Michelle Held

Rhys, Ruby and Nola

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317 View Post
    Baloo learned to fetch with water retrieves, no joke. He had no understanding of the concept before he hit the water, but it was like something just clicked. It took months for him to transfer those skills to dry land retrieving, but eventually he got it.

Can't WAIT to see you guys at an ODD event!! Will he be 6 months by september?
    No, but I was told he can come to "observe". LOL Unless there is an event within an hour from home in the late fall he probably won't be jumping until the Toronto Sportsman Show.
    ~Samantha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast