They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me crazy.

Thread: They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me crazy.

Gene Guest

DefaultThey are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me crazy.

They never use to do this. They are both so strong willed, they both want to be the alpha dog. Zoey has been humping Merlot for the last two months, and a week ago Merlot says enough of this and now he is humping her! Then it turns into a bout of bitey face and chasing each other and butt tucking all over the house, knocking furniture over, etc. I guess maybe they are just getting bored from lack of exercise. I have been cutting their walks short, because the weather sucks this winter. It's been so cold they have only been getting 1/2 hour walks instead of the normal two hour walks. They don't want to play in the back yard, they just want to tear up the house. >

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Felix Guest

DefaultRe: They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me cr

So, this is not a struggle for being the 'Alpha' dog

Just a way to get lost of the energy they've got, so cutting in their walks isnt a good idea

So, start walking again !! ;D

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me cr

Gene, Send them up here for the weekend. I will take them to the DP with HK and they will run out of any energy they have stored up. Hmmm! By the time they get back to you, they wil probably have a whole new supply.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me crazy.

yep, its excess energy, not dominance. Bundle yourself up and get them outside....

DefaultRe: They are trying to decide who is the alpha, and the humping is driving me crazy.

Mocha and Zeus have been doing a lot of that latley too I think it's just the lack of exercise since it's been cold and we don't get out as much.

Gene Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    yep, its excess energy, not dominance. Bundle yourself up and get them outside....
    I did, it's -9F, but I still got cold, only could stand it an hour. When is it ever gonna get warm here?

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gene
    Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    I did, it's -9F, but I still got cold, only could stand it an hour. When is it ever gonna get warm here?
    If my little minpin can brave the cold (with a good coat and sometimes some booties) then you guys should be just fine.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

If your dogs play well with others, you can look into doggy daycare for an outlet for their energy while you stay warm and toasty. Or possibly take an obedience class with each of them to tire them out mentally. The easiest though is as others have said...bundle up and get your butt out there