Need some advice with my foster UPDATE 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice with my foster UPDATE 2

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

DefaultNeed some advice with my foster UPDATE 2

UPDATE:
    The Bellyband is doing the trick! I'm going to bring a urine sample just to make sure he's not dealing with an infection. I'll update later. As far as the potty training, I've been taking him more frequently, but the dribbling continues.

UPDATE:
    Wesley has a UTI. It almost relieving to me knowing that that is the culprit and not some type of behavioral issue. He's on a med and if it doesn't get better by Saturday, I'll bring him in and they will put him on a different med.

We've had Wesley since Saturday and we've been trying to find out ways so he won't piddle! He's very laid back, somewhat of an observer. We've been learning to be very conscious of our voices, greetings, posturing, eye contact. He's stopped piddlin' when he's waiting for me to attach the leash to go outside- I'm happy about that!
    At bedtime, I walk him into the bedroom, block the door and tell him crate. If I would coax him, he would piddle. Now that he's not afraid to go downstairs, he's not piddling.
    Now tonight, I was petting him when we were on the couch...he got up, and he peed while I was petting him! He peed on the ds's foot this afternoon when was petting him.
    My son ended having to pick him up to crate him before he left for basketball and he peed then too. He tried to coax him off one couch, only to get on the livingroom couch, wouldn't even get up for a treat. He didn't want to be late, so he picked him up.
    I called the vet this morning. The gal said the things we were doing were good, and didn't think it was related to his neutering. He maybe marking?
    I found out that he did get adopted by a family, but was returned. So far he's stayed: ....birth, humane society, "home", humane society, our house.
    Could this be a possible bladder infection, nuetering outcome, behavioral, overload for him? He's such a good boy, but I'm puzzled about what to do. I guess his brother, who was adopted Saturday, hasn't even had an accident! I'm about to get my carpets professionally cleaned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MicksMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need some advice with my foster

We had some minor "pee" issues with Caleb in the beginning, too. What we found to be a big help was to limit his water intake. I think we started at 2 cups a day and I increased it every few weeks (by Christmas 2006 I was giving him 6 cups). Which, really did last him all day. We made sure to pick up the water at 8 each night (I think it was 8). It sounds like Wesley is peeing from nerves or too much stimuli, but limiting his water might help. Also, I'd start over as if he were a new pup- gradually giving him more and more access to the house.

I'm wondering if I should purchase a baby gate for the kitchen...the only place on the main floor without carpeting. I worry that being only in the kitchen when I'm home all day doing different things in different rooms would stress him out more?
    Right now, I'm trying to get him to go upstairs to his crate....he's not climbing the stairs. I know he'll pee if I go up to him and carry him.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

i don't think its marking, it really does sound submissive, which he really doesn't have control over..

What about trying this: throughout the day, start to handle him all over gently, quietly praising and rewarding him throughout. Start to pick him up (hands around the belly), stop and quietly praise, with a small reward.

Bellybands are another possible idea...

What are bellybands? I've never heard of them.

Maybe I'll have try and handle him on the floor. Like I said, I was petting him on the couch, and he peed.

Just googled: Bellybands. That would be a great tool! I think I might call a places tomorrow and see if anyone carries them, or I'll place an internet order. Thanks!

Anyone else for advice until I get this under control??

Felix Guest

If i read you're story, i'am getting the idea that he's indeed marking in you're house

But with a brand new foster Lab in you're house, just give him some time to setle down, it is a overwelming situation he's in, new rules, new people, all other new stuff ...

So, time will heall all wounds

patm is offline Senior Member

I don't get the idea that he is marking. It sounds like submissive peeing to me, and you should get him checked for an infection just to rule that out. This dog has had lots of changes in his life. Give him time. Be gentle but consistent with him, give him a routine that you stick to and he will come around.He sound like a sweet boy, and bless you for fostering him.

Dani is offline Senior Member

definitely submissive. Bellybands will help....but he needs to feel comfortable...and that will come with time.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Felix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I don't get the idea that he is marking. It sounds like submissive peeing to me, and you should get him checked for an infection just to rule that out. This dog has had lots of changes in his life. Give him time. Be gentle but consistent with him, give him a routine that you stick to and he will come around.He sound like a sweet boy, and bless you for fostering him.
    That's also an option, but it is hard to figure it out by the internet, if you couldnt see the dog

If you get what i mean ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast