Question for folks who show/compete (other than field events)

Thread: Question for folks who show/compete (other than field events)

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion for folks who show/compete (other than field events)

I am curious about something:

In Hunt Tests and Field Trials (and I guess the SRS) there is a "bitch check" first thing the morning of the event. Each "intact" female is checked for discharge, etc. to be sure that she is not 'in season", and you are expected to scratch your dog if she comes into heat within 21 days prior to the event (rule of thumb). This is to keep the males from jumping on your dog, freaking out, fighting, etc.

A friend told me that there are no "bitch checks" for the show ring, that the males are just expected to "deal with it" if there is a bitch in season.

Is this true? How about for OB and other events of that nature (I freely admit that I know nothing about dog events other than FT's and HT's)?

Seems like there is always someone at a HT griping that there must have been a "hot bitch" at the test, b/c otherwise thier male would have passed and not been horsey. I have been in enough training groups with bitches in heat that I think males CAN "just deal with it." Whether they should have to is another discussion, I guess. Anyway, I was curious what happens in other dog venues?

Thanks.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question for folks who show/compete (other than field events)

All obedience shows that I have been to, state in the premiums, that bitches in heat are not allowed to be shown. Some shows will do refunds, most don't. I don't know how that actually check for it - I guess if someone complains, they probably check it out.

All obedience shows that I have been to, state in the premiums, that bitches in heat are not allowed to be shown.
    This has been in my experience as well. Some shows will refund upon presentation of a vet's letter (so say the premiums). I've been in obedience class on two occasions now where there has been a female dog in heat (and wearing panties) and we trained right alongside with them. No better distraction training than that!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

No bitch checks at obedience. It is the honor method.

In conformation for the most part, males and females don't compete against each other until Best of Breed (in AKC and CKC). Most people who have bitches in season try to keep them away from the ring until it's time for them to show. They do warn people that their bitch is in season so those with males can keep them away.

I've been screamed at IN THE RING by another competitor for having a bitch in season. I warned him the day before and he told me then his male was too young to understand. He changed his tune the next day when his male wanted to run backwards while facing my bitch. I gave him a good 40 feet in distance, but he stopped in the middle of the ring and screamed at me. Then he left the ring in a hissy fit. That was a fun day. *rolls eyes*

Laura

As others have said, no bitches in heat are allowed to compete in performance events (agility, obedience, rally, flyball, etc) and they go on the honor method. Conformation is different because it's judging breeding stock so bitches in heat are allowed (after all, being in heat is a huge part of breeding), but most will try to be considerate and stay away from or warn those with boys. The fun comes when youre doing a performance event at the same venue as a conformation show....then you really hear people complain!! lol

Personally, I think if your going to keep a boy intact, then you better expose him to girls in season and proof for it...and I do

kaytris is offline Senior Member

agility ass'n of Canada says no bitches in heat allowed at trials...

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    Personally, I think if your going to keep a boy intact, then you better expose him to girls in season and proof for it...and I do
    I think you should just amend that to include "if you are going to show at events open to bitches in season and you have a male (neutered or intact) you should proof for it." That should include performance events when held at big cluster shows.

I avoid a lot of problems with a bitch right now, but hopefully the next pupper is going to be a boy

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

At training days for field events, in my experiance, the really SERIOUS folks want a bitch in season to run first, so the males have to deal with it, get used to it. They treat a bitch in season as just another "factor" in the set up. Every one else wants 'em to run last. We NEVER take ours to a test unless she is 4 weeks out of season. I have seen other folks shade the rule pretty close.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg