Dominance ???

Thread: Dominance ???

fburke is offline Senior Member

DefaultDominance ???

Willow has this annoying habit ..When me or someone is sitting on the couch she will jump up on the couch and try and put her paws on the back of your neck or your shoulders and hover over you trying to lick you.

Now I can handle her and grab her collar with a firm OFF and lead her off the couch however, house guest sometimes don’t really like a 75lb dog breathing on them trying to lick there face. Especially my 63 year old mom who is about 90lbs herself, or my mother in law who is disabled. :-\

This isn’t aggressive behavior, I know she is just trying to be friendly but I was wondering if it had something to do with dominance and her trying to show you who’s boss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dominance ???

Great question. Mambo does the same.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

more likely because a)its fun b)she gets interaction (even negative interaction) with you c) this is how dogs greet each other, especially younger dogs to older ones - licking faces. Since people faces are so much higher up, jumping is needed - and hey! when you sit on the sofa, you're that much closer.

When you are sitting on the couch, have her on a drag line.. as soon as you see her look up with that gleam in her eye, before she starts to jump, interrupt her, give her a sit or down cue, and THEN give her attention.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Actually.... this is dominance, (or for those not into the whole 'dominance' thing..) at the very least rude, demanding behavior that needs correction.

a) they should not invade your personal space without invitation...that's lack of respect.

b) throwing arms/legs over shoulders is a form of dominance for dogs. You'll see some dogs attempt this...hopping up on the side of dogs and planting paws on the shoulder region. It's the very reason many dogs do not like hugs(and will react aggressively), and also do not like an arm thrown over THEIR shoulders if you are both laying side by side. For people that like citations, this can be found in the 'Other end of the Leash' among others.

This should be corrected...As soon as willow jumps up without invitation, he(she?) needs to be promptly removed and ushered back to the floor. If he comes back over to attempt it again, you need to 'claim your space'

HTH

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe Willow is just in an excited state with visitors and needs to calm down so your "down" commands are heard. Whenever I get company, four excited big dogs gather around them and even though they don't jump, the visitor naturally feels uncomfortable so I baby gate the dogs into an adjoining room until they calm down.

fburke is offline Senior Member

Willow is a very excitable dog when people come over for the first 10 or 15min she is off the wall she LOVES people !!

after that she usually settles down. Luckily most people that come over to my house are dog peopling other wise I have to crate her.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Baloo does the same thing!! Ho loooovvveees to give hugs.

It's my own fault because I let him do it with me because I like it, and I can't expect him to know the difference between doing it with me and doing it with a guest. :-[

So, I'm working on getting him to wait for invitation, and so far he seems to be understanding it fairly well. When he goes to jump up like that I'll block him and say "off", and wait until he's got all four paws on the ground. Then I'll invite him up. Hes starting to get it, because most times he'll come up and sit in front of me, waiting for me to tell him it's OK to come up.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!