Accidents in the house...

Thread: Accidents in the house...

labwrangler is offline Senior Member

DefaultAccidents in the house...

Bella will be 12 in May. She's in good health for an old girl - has a lot of energy, eats well, looks pretty good (except for many lipomas). Over the past 3 or 4 months she's had 3 pooping accidents in the house, all at night. The first two happened when she had a stomach upset, and she probably had to go pretty bad. Since we didn't see it happen, we didn't say anything, just cleaned up the mess. This morning my husband was working upstairs and came down for lunch, and he found that she'd pooped under the dining room table (a regular poop, no runs). He did scold her because he thought she hadn't asked to go out, although after further discussion (we have the greatest phone conversations) we think it may have happened during the night. She was behaving very strangely this morning.

Bella goes out each night right before we go to bed, and first thing when I get up at 4:45 in the morning. At night we make sure she at least pees. Until recently, she hasn't had an accident since she was just a puppy. She's sleeps in our room and has always been very, very quiet at night - we think she may not want to let us know she has to go out, or maybe doesn't know how to do it. She doesn't even make any noise during the day, she just stands by the door until we let her out (our yard is completely fenced in).

Poor baby, I know she gets upset when she has these accidents. We think she may be getting a little senile, and/or is having some trouble holding it as she gets older. She does seem to get tummy upsets a bit more often than she used to, but her appetite is good and her poop looks good (as good as dog poop ever looks). Has anyone had this experience with an older dog? Any suggestions? She hasn't been crated since she was about a year old, and it probably wouldn't go over well at this point. Thanks in advance for your help.

Alfred (aka Freddy), May 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Accidents in the house...

No poo problems here but my last lab became incontinent at about the age of 10-11. The vet put her on a short course of meds for this and the problem never returned. I do not remember the name of the medicine but was warned at the time it was for short term use only.

Beachboys is offline Senior Member

No advice. Just wanted to wish you good luck in finding out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It sounds like it could be her age. Maybe having some trouble holding it like she used to. I have a young pyr and we used the bell system to train both my dogs actually. I work odd hours so sometimes they have to wake me up to go potty. My pyr didn't know how to wake me, so I put the Tinkle bells on the bedroom door so now she just lays in front of the door nudging the bells with her nose. We baby gate her in our bedroom with us, so she didn't have access to the bells on the back door, not that i would have heard those anyway. Good luck.