eye infection?

Thread: eye infection?

Defaulteye infection?

Hi folks,

I was wondering how you tell when your dog has an eye infection? Ellie tends to have the whitish gunk in the inner corners of her eyes in the morning, but lately one keeps developing several times a day. Her eyes seen a little watery too. I think she might be allergic to something at her day care too, because her eyes tend to be red when she gets home from there (once or twice a week).

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: eye infection?

Yellow/green gunk is a sign of an eye infection. My Maddy gets quite a bit of dirt in her eyes, and the white gunk is just normal cleaning out of the eyes.

I don't know much about allergies though, and I have heard that eye issues can be related to food. Maybe someone with that experience will chime in.

Mocha gets the clear to white gunk in her eyes a few times a day a lot. I think it's just their cleaning mechanisim. As long as it's not yellow or green I don't worry Zeus gets them too his are normally darker but still not yucky looking.

Are the red eyes possibly from her being tired from daycare maybe? Not sure if it's the same with dogs but my eyes water a lot more this time of year when it's cold and in the spring when the pollen is high.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Oh that is good news, thanks!

Yes, it could be that she is tired. She is usually totally wiped out after day care. They say she goes nonstop all day!

They also have this stuff on the floor there called gorilla hair, so she could be getting a lot of dust in her eyes too.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Here comes my limited experience, current.

Green gunk, indicates infection, most likely conjunctivitis.

However, HK eye started watering and then I noticed her thrid eyelid showing a lot and the white of that eye significantly more red than the other. Took her in. She had/has a scratch on her cornea. The vets are not worried about it. They gave me two ointments, one to keep the eye dilated, supposed to aid healing. The other is a multi antibiotic to clear/prevent any infection. That was last Thursday. Took her back in today. Healing is not done, continuing treatment, go back on Thursday, if not improved, we head to the U for an opthmologist to check her out.

That's is the extent of my experience with her eyes.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.