How in the world do I get him to roll over?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How in the world do I get him to roll over?

DefaultHow in the world do I get him to roll over?

But first I must say, for the record, treat training does not work!!!
    Everytime I try to treat train, my hyper dog focuses on only one thing, and ignores everything else. It simply doesn't work. (yes, I know how to do it) I've taught him everything he knows without treats, but last night decided to try treat training for a change. It was ridiculous. He's just way too into the treat, and way to excited.

Anyway - so about that rolling over thing. I'm going to try again (without treats), but want to make sure I'm doing this part right:

So I tell him DOWN, once down, then I say ROLL OVER (actually I'm just saying ROLL). His response is to stare at me with a tilted head and wrinkled forehead. So I manually roll him over, then when he's over, I praise him.
    Repeat.
    Repeat again.
    Repeat again.
    Repeat again.
    Repeat again.
    Repeat again.
    Repeat again.
    You get the picture.....

Is this basically the way to do it? Or is there a better way to get him to roll?

(according to that "smartest dog breed" list, a poodle would have gotten it in 5 rolls....)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wiscpayton is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How in the world do I get him to roll over?

That's what worked here. Repeat, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by wiscpayton
    That's what worked here. Repeat, repeat.
    So my forcing him over manually is the way to go?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

That's how I got Jonah to do everything so far (manually do it until he got it). You could try to sort of lure him with the treat as well if you wanted to try again with a treat, but I know you said that he went crazy for them (when we were teaching "play dead" Jonah would sometimes only go halfway to his side and I'd use the treat over his head to get him to roll on his back).

I used to have a ferrett that I taught roll over the same way (manual roll over and then get a treat, he could care less about praise).

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I didnt manually do it. I had him in a down then stuck the treat over his head and moved it out to the right. As I was moving it I was saying roll over. If he got stuck on his back I would just kinda help him over but after that he just had it.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Kathryn Guest

Maggie is the only one I could teach roll over.
    I put her in a down.. took the treat and went to the side of her shoulder.. I then took the treat over her back behind her head. and her sniffer went where the treat went and she rolled over....
    But like I said She was the only one I could teach that too.... Good luck

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

On food crazy dogs, I use low paying treats such as kibble or plain cheerios. I don't roll the dog over, I lure and get them to do it themselves, it usually comes in steps. Roll over is pretty hard to do all at once. I also don't introduce a command until the dog is getting the behavior.

Like when I was training a 14 month old to "down" I didn't introduce the command until he was doing the behavior - I wanted an elbows first down, so he'd get rewarded for slightly bending elbows, then elbows on the ground (with butt high in the air), then once he was getting that a few times, I'd "ask" for more and not reward until butt was coming down. Then a few times, wait for butt to hit the floor, so on and so forth. Once he was hitting the position I wanted I started introducing the command on his way down. This took 3 sessions (10 min apiece). He had never known anything except Stand Pretty for the show ring, and got his RN 3 weeks later.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogey 1
    I didnt manually do it. I had him in a down then stuck the treat over his head and moved it out to the right. As I was moving it I was saying roll over. If he got stuck on his back I would just kinda help him over but after that he just had it.
    That's how I did it with Leo too. He would go onto his back by himself though. I never taught the other boys and it's been so many years I wonder if Leo still remembers it. I'll have to try when I get home and let you know if it works.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

I actually found a "dog trick" book at the libarary and was able to teach Sammi in about two tries! Not sure I can explan it but I'll try, and yes I did use a treat! I put her in a down stay, they have to have that down 100% for it to work. Then with the treat in hand I brought it closer to her left side she followed just watching turned her head then I just lifted the treat over her head, she kept looking as I would say roll, her body just came over as I am passing the treat over from left to right, then once she rolled I pulled the treat out front again she went back in the down stay and she got the treat! It's much easier with pictures to look at :- but maybe this will help alittle!

I did it with Mocha at first by manually rolling her over. She only took a few tries to get it though after doing it a few times manually I started just touching her foot and she would roll over after a few more tries she did it on her own. We use treats though and she's very motivated (not crazy) by them.
    I havne't tried with Zeus yet he's much more goofy laid back and not as easy to train period.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast