Please Help Me Figure Out This Problem

Thread: Please Help Me Figure Out This Problem

DefaultPlease Help Me Figure Out This Problem

Hi, my family recently (2 days ago) rescued a Yellow Lab that is about 3-4 years old. He appears to have been neutred, but I'm no dog expert. Just tonight he started to sniff where my sister and mother were sitting and trying to jump on them and mount them as he would another female dog. Is this normal? What should we do? Should I take him to the vet and have him checked out? Please help me. This is a very serious question and I need an answer as fast as possible. Thanks very much.

David

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Please Help Me Figure Out This Problem

Please someone say something.

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

No one is ignoring you. It is just that most of the people are east coasters and so it is very late. You will likely get lots of comments in the morning.

The humping is not unusual. It is likely that he is just excited. My male is neutered and tends to hump our female when he gets really excited - as in happy in play. When he was a puppy he tried to hump us. Just pull him off while using the word "off". Hope this helps.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Hi David I have a fixed male dog almost 4 years old...to this day now and then..he gets wound up like hyper (lol play wise) and still tries to hump us....more my husband than me..I had to teach him OFF and sometimes have to pry his paws off hubby so he can stand...and not be scratched to death.....Your dog is not sick I would not take him to a vet...he is either trying to show the ladies who is boss like a dominace issue or is over wound like mine gets ...and needs to be taught to leave them or you can teach him to REDIRECT his energy to a toy or something else....things will be ok trust me he is new to your home still and bless you for rescueing the dog I use to work in rescue

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

I hope needing to have this solved "fast" doesn't mean that there's a risk that this behavior puts him at risk of losing his new rescue home... It CAN be solved, though it may not be immediate. Please be patient with him, especially as a rescue and new in your home, I know that behaviours like that can be frustrating.

First of all, thank you for rescuing him.

Secondly, as other responders have said, humping behavior is not necessarily a function of an intact male trying to actually mate. Neutered males do it, as do many females (both spayed and unaltered). Sometimes it is a dominance thing. Often it is an over-excited play thing, or a combination of both. In either case, you can teach him it is unacceptable. Be firm and consistent about discouraging, correcting, and re-directing him each time he starts, and he should learn pretty quickly. Right now, the home is new, the family is new, and the rules are unclear. Set the rules, and give him a bit of time to get comfortable, to understand this is where he lives and he's secure, safe and loved there, and you'll see improvement.

Good luck.

P.S. Both my dogs (neutered male, spayed female) occasionally start humping even though they know it's something they're not supposed to do. Especially when they're playing with other dogs, I know it's a dominance thing with them. I still have to sometimes call them on it - but at this point, a sharp "UH-UH!" or "no humping!" gets their attention and they stop. Repetition and consistency are the key. Oh, and patience...
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I haven't read the replies. I think it is normal. Ernie is 6 and his nic name is Sir Ernest Hump A lot.

I have heard it is a dominance issue. Now why Ernie wants to dominate his bed or my cushions is beyond me.
    My female humped her blanket and my dressing gown. My vet said to take what ever it is they are humping away.
    If it is human I would tell them no.

Eric ( Bearsdad) may be able to help you.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

Dani is offline Senior Member

It's a dominance issue. He's trying to establish his place in your pack. I'd work on training off and redirect.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

as others might tell you it's definitely a dominance issue, i say there is no way to tell for sure from descriptions on the internet, and in my experience, humping behavior is often times a symptom of excitement or even nervous anxiety. the humping is just an outlet for the excitement/stress. humping is a natural and common canine impulse. i don't think it's something that you should be alarmed about.

no matter the "why" of the behavior, the training solution is still the same. consistently halt or prevent the undesirable behavior and provide a more appropriate action that the dog can perform so that you can consistently reward the alternate desirable behavior (ie train him to hold a toy in his mouth or go to his designated area or something else that he can do to focus on something else). that way, the undesirable action is discouraged, and at the same time a new and "better" action is encouraged so that an appropriate outlet for his excitement/stress is available.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

It might be worth contact a trainer that can come to your house, observe, and then show you how to work with the dog to stop the humping. Forgetting that, you have had the dog 2 days and this behavior is not acceptable to you. Shouldn't be.

Do not let this be cute at anytime, everyone in the house.
    Stop it as soon as it begins, as fast as you can.
    Redirect to another activity, chase a ball, tug toy, but not a treat. Do not want to associate trying to hump with a treat.
    Do you have a crate for him? Maybe putting him in the crate for a time out (5 minutes is enough), when he tries to hump.

I am not an expert, definitely not, but these are the things I would try. The biggest thing is you just got him, now is your best time to establish the behaviors you want, and discourage those that you don't want. Your house, your rules. Don't let him get used to thinking he can get away with something and then later have to untrain that. It is harder.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.