Angus has a broken tip of his toe **UPDATE**
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Angus has a broken tip of his toe **UPDATE**

imported_eastcoastmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAngus has a broken tip of his toe **UPDATE**

Angus was in the backyard yesterday evening, playing with Steve and the girls. He ran into the woods after his ball & came limping out. There wad no blood, and no visible sign of a cut. He had full range of motion in his hip and leg, but his toe was tender. We hoped it was just a sprain and planned to take him to the vet today if he was no better. he played, ate, tail wagging the whole time, and seemed just like his usual self, except with a limp. I called his vet first thing this morning because when we got up he was unable to bear weight on his paw. They said bring him in at 5:30pm. Steve took him in and he was x-rayed & found to have a broken middle toe, His vet said he will splint it and hope that it heals over an 8 week period. Our vet is very tell-it-like-it-is, and wants to make sure we know all of the details in every situation...a trait I usually love about him but tonight he scared me silly. he said *worst case scenario* would be amputation of Angus' toe. I don't care how remote that possibility is, DON'T tell me that! I am just a mess over this, I feel so bad for him. If you are a prayerful person, I sure would appreciate a healing prayer for my baby, and if you are not, maybe spare him a good thought. I will call to check on him tomorrow, we are to pick him up at 5 pm.

Has anyone heard of a broken toe not healing and requiring amputation? If it comes down to that, you can bet there will be a second, and third opinion. Angus' vet is one of the best, but no one is taking his toe off unless there is absolutely no other way.

**UPDATE**

Hey, he's home!!! None the worse for wear . He has to be checked weekly for 4 -6 weeks. They gave us 2 IV bags, but he needs something else inside as the splint under the cast is metal and already tore the seam of one iv bag. He ate supper and is curled up by me getting lost of lovin'. Thanks for your good thoughts. Now, let's hope he heals good as new without incident.
    "Find out who you are and do it on purpose."

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Angus has a broken tip of his toe

Ouch. T, I think Felicia will be able to help you in this department. I don't know if it was the tip Hen broke or the whole toe.

Good thoughts for Angus.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Mugs mom and dad is offline Senior Member

Awwwwwwwww poor Angus sending good thoughts and prayers over for him.

Quote Originally Posted by TangerineFizz
    Ouch. T, I think Felicia will be able to help you in this department. I don't know if it was the tip Hen broke or the whole toe.
    I belive it was his toe.

~Michele,Mugs & Sassy~

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

ack! poor guy! amputation is probably so unlikely you shouldn't worry (but that is easier said than done I know!)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

DFWLab is offline Senior Member

I would have to think that's very extreme situation as well..

Did the vet talk about any meds to keep him low key during the healing period?

good thoughts though...

imported_eastcoastmom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    I would have to think that's very extreme situation as well..

Did the vet talk about any meds to keep him low key during the healing period?

good thoughts though...
    Not at this. I assume when I call tomorrow he'll let us know more. Angus is pretty low key already, despite still being a puppy, he's a couch potato indoors, usually. Of course, he gets out everyday for a walk and to play ball, so being low key might make him a bit shack-wackey.
    "Find out who you are and do it on purpose."

patm is offline Senior Member

Skippy broke a toe when he was younger - it healed without incident - I'm sure Angus will be fine

lablover is offline Senior Member

Keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure he will be OK.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

No advice or experience with this but sending healing thoughts for Angus. I know you must be plenty anxious. Please post and let us know how he is doing.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts that Angus has a quick healing toe!! OUCH :-*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast