Dog walker question? and misc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog walker question? and misc

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog walker question? and misc

So, this afternoon, I took HK over to the wetland in the snow. Ran into a guy with a 17 month old YM, also off lead. We each got our respective friend sitting at our side and had a 30 foot apart conversation thaten decided they would get along and released them. These two dogs had a ball together, running the trail, through the cattails (dead and frozen), bitey face, and everything else. Then the good part. A runner started approaching in the distance. We both called our dogs in and had them heal, then sit when the runner got closer. The runner stopped when he got to us, and asked how we got the dogs to do that. He had a 15 month old that he would love to run with, bt the dog is out of control off leash and pulls too much on leash. And he asked if he could play with them while we talked. The dogs had a good time with him, and we gave him the names of some trainers.

Separation and back to subject. Turns out this guys does home maintenance cleaning (DW was happy to get another name), and dog walking. 3-4 times a day, out of owner's house, will feed, water, and spend about 10-15 minutes playng with dog each stop. His dog comes along. He charges $40/day. How does this line up with what others pay?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog walker question? and misc

i charge $15/hr for a small group walk (usually to the offleash park for playtime), $25/hr for a private solo walk (usually dog-aggressive/intolerant dogs.) Most of the daycares here charge $30-50 for a full day of play.

Thanks Kaytris, I guess he is too far out of line. 4 - half hour sessions without considering his travel time comes to ~$20/hr. The doggy camp here charges $35/night without individual playtime.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dog walker here charges $30 for 2 visits, each 30 minutes in which time she will walk the dog, and do other doggie chores (feed, water, etc).

If he brings his own dog, whom he already said at 15 months was out of control, I'm thinking he's not a great choice anyway! If he can't control his dog on leash, how does he walk two?

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

The guy with the 15 month old OOC dog was the jogger. The dog walker was the other guy at the park.
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sunnylaz
    If he brings his own dog, whom he already said at 15 months was out of control, I'm thinking he's not a great choice anyway! If he can't control his dog on leash, how does he walk two?
    No! No! The jogger had a dog he said was out of controll. This fellas dog was great, Delmonico! I didn' ask where the name came from. No, his dog was well behaved and responsive to commands. What I liked about him, is they he would walk them on that trail throughthe wetland and they could get some lead free time in.

EMA
    EMA is offline Senior Member

Is he doing "dog walker" chores or "dog-sitter" chores?
    I charge (generally - depending on needs, things can be worked out) $25/day/dog for dog sitting. I go in 3x per day, feed/water/walk/play. I'm usually there for at least 1.5 hours in the am and same in the afternoon, then about 15 min at night (final potty time). I usually only do one house at a time, but if I do more, I won't do less than an hour at each house (unless the person asked just to let out). Some time is just spent watching TV, chilling with the dogs so they don't feel so abandoned. I usually go a 4th time just to let out depending on my schedule that day, but that is on me, I don't ask for extra. Usually this is my schedule during breaks, during school time, things got shifted, but they still got the time needed.

I would not like a dog walker to bring their own dog with them - unless they assured me it would stay in the car. IMO, that's unprofessional and he is gaining too (dog play to tire and exercise his dog) so his price isn't worth it - he should knock off 50% if he is letting his dog play.

EMA,

I hear you on the part abou his dog, and him, getting a benefit also. If it comes that I should need somethng like this, I may talk with him about it. I actually like the idea of him bringing his dog. They met today, by accident, and really got along, playing,chasing, etc. HK got a much better workot than when she just walks with me. Oh! She runs aheasd and comes back and all, but this is more like non-stop high energy play. She wouldn't get that with him alone. If we were talking an on leash situation, it wold be a completely different situation in my mind. If I come to use him, I would ask him to run a cople test walks off lead with HK to see if she would respond to him, like she does with me.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMA
    I would not like a dog walker to bring their own dog with them - unless they assured me it would stay in the car. IMO, that's unprofessional and he is gaining too (dog play to tire and exercise his dog) so his price isn't worth it - he should knock off 50% if he is letting his dog play.
    I've brought my dogs along on group walks - yes, it gives them exercise, but it also gives the client dog a guaranteed playmate at the park. I don't see any difference between walking 3 paying dogs and walking my dog and 2 clients.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast