Help - anyone else have this problem with their dog's nose?

Thread: Help - anyone else have this problem with their dog's nose?

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp - anyone else have this problem with their dog's nose?

Sky has always had problems with her nose getting dry, but this is the worst. Anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions on what I can put on it? If you look at the picture (hopefully it isn't too dark) the little pieces that are raised are big flakes that look like could bleed if she were to catch it on something. I'll take her to the vet, but if someone has any suggestions I'd like to try that first.

Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

krisinme is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help - anyone else have this problem with their dog's nose?

It kind of reminds me of nasal hyperkeratosis It can come on the nose and feet. I believe Nicole in theConformation section has a chocolate with this. I would take the dog into the vet before I try anything over the counter. You wouldn't want to make it worse. it looks like it hurts.

krisinme is offline Senior Member

http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi...ournalCode=vde

and this on idiopathic hk
    Idiopathic nasal hyperkeratosis is most commonly noted in middle aged to older dogs with the Cocker spaniel being over represented. It has also been suggested that it is a senile change. It may be concurrently associated with pad hyperkeratosis. The nose becomes dry, rough and hyperkeratotic, especially on the dorsum of the nose. Fissures, erosions and ulcers are only occasionally noted. There is no depigmentation or inflammation. This is an important observation which helps to clinically differentiate the lupus or pemphigus group of diseases (which may also be hyperkeratotic). The diagnosis is generally made on a clinical basis. Therapeutic considerations include the daily topical administration of Kerasolv (DVM pharmaceuticals; salicylic acid, sodium lactate and urea in propylene glycol), Bag Balm or tretinoin gel (Retin-A;Ortho). Petrolatum may also be used. More rapid removal of the hyperkeratotic debris may be facilitated by pre-hydrating the planum (water compresses for 5-10 minutes) prior to application. Oral vitamin A may also be of benefit. Dosages are usually in the range of 8,000 to 20,000 Units BID. Although there is nothing "new" about this disease, it must be differentiated from a disease that not as well recognized by most - nasal hyperkeratosis associated with xeromycteria
    http://www.dcavm.org/05apr.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Kris - thankyou! I had actually found the same data once you put a name to it in your first post. Guess I'll be making a vet visit sooner than later.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky