Babies and puppies Advice

Thread: Babies and puppies Advice

DefaultBabies and puppies Advice

I'm 13 weeks pregnant and according to schedule, the baby will be born on July. We already have 2 sweet labbies (ok one pure sweet and a biter sweet one), we had a plan of getting a dog every 3 years, next one would be due next year's fall. As I am excited about starting to look for a reputable breeder, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to bring a puppy home when the baby would only be about a year old? ???

Do you think I should wait more as even with somebody helping me with the baby, it is usually a full time job? Do you think I should start looking for the breeder anyways and time will tell when it would be appropiate to bring a puppy home?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

PhoebeJeebies is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Babies and puppies Advice

My advice would be to wait for a while...I know for myself, to think of having a toddler running around and then training a new puppy is overwhelming!
    Becca & Phoebe

Congratulations! My advice would be wait. A lot of the breeders I contacted wouldn't even consider putting a puppy in a home unless your child was over a certain age (some were 2-3, one was 5). Our first lab died when our first daughter was not quite 1. We waited until we were done having kids, and the youngest was 3 before adding a puppy back into the mix (6 year wait). A 1 year old child IS a full time job, and especially if this is your first, I would think you would want to be able to let the 1 year old crawl and start walking without worrying about a puppy around!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Congrats on the pregnancy I'll be 15 weeks and am due July 17th
    I don't think it would hurt to look at breeders but I wouldn't set anything in stone and wait until you have the baby and see how things are going. We have three dogs already (2 labs and a yorkie see me siggy) and don't plan to add another for quiet a while but I would at least wait until the baby is at least 3 probably and a little more steady on their feet. I've heard of a lot of people with toddlers have trouble with the puppy nipping the baby a lot thinking they are a litter mate.

Joey is offline Senior Member

What about if you got a rescue that was a little older and calmer?? I really wanted a puppy, but after thinking about it, we got an older puppy (5months) and missed the house breaking part and puppy nipping. I have a 3 and 6 year old and I was really happy with our decision. If you really want the puppy, I would wait a little while as well,
    1 year olds are a lot of work, but so much fun at the same time! Hope you find something that will work for you.

meandclint is offline Senior Member

I think it's really up to you and how you will feel after you have the baby. Everyone's situation is different. I really hate when fellow breeders put age requirements on puppy families. I have had three families with young children (ages 2 - 3) purchase puppies from me and are great with their dogs yet they were all turned down by several other breeders before finding me. I felt they were capable of making their own decisions and they had done research, etc and were very ready for a puppy.

When my first daughter was born I had three Labradors ages 3 1/2, 3, and 1 year old. I then added another Labrador when my oldest was 2 1/2 years old. Now we have two daughters ages 6 and 2 1/2 years old and we are adding another puppy. I think that the toughest age for a baby is 6 - 12 months old when they require a lot of "hands on" time because they can't do anything for themselves yet they are getting more mobile plus all their toys and things are on the floor. So my only advice would be to suggest waiting until your baby is a little over a year old.

Thank you all for your advice, I will start looking for a breeder just to have that out of the way. I already know what a puppy can be, but a baby dont know yet. I will wait and see how it goes with the baby and go from there on.

We are so thrilled about our baby growing up with the labbies we already have and I'm sure it be nice to add a puppy once the baby has become a toddler.

Adriana,
    congratulations on your pregnancy ;D I don't have any advice as I don't have any kids myself.

Gene Guest

Congratulations, but I have no first hand advice. Never had a baby and a puppy at the same time. I know puppies like to chew on human hands while they are teething, I would hate to have them chew on a babies hand, so if it was me, I would wait. Unless you have enough time and energy to supervise the situation 24-7, to prevent that. Just my two cents.