Dog Food

Thread: Dog Food

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

DefaultDog Food

Fburke (sorry dont know your name) has got me wondering if Alfie is on the right food lol pet shop recommended this to me.

His basic kibble is not a brand one like IAMS etc its made by local pet shop who does their own and the bag says

CHICKEN AND RICE DRY FOOD 19%
    WORKING/SPORTING is a complete feedingstuff specifically for adult working and sporting dogs.
    Ingredients:
    Wheat, chicken meal min 16%, rice meal min 8%, chicken fat, wheatfeed, prairie meal, maize, de-hulled soya, unmolassed sugar beet, full fat linseed, norwegian fish meal, yeast, minerals.

A few of these ingredients dont sound right to me. Any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Dog Food

You want the first and even the 2nd ingredient listed to be MEAT...Chicken, Beef, etc Yours is wheat, and meal with the 4th being more wheat and 5th being corn.
    I would get him off it and onto something else.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

The first ingredient is wheat. :-X

I would also recommend finding something better. I avoid any dog food with wheat, soy or corn in any form in it. Meat meal is good, as that means the water has already been removed.

Here's a good read on dog food, it will explain in a lot more detail what you should look for in a good food:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/how-d...the-foods.html
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Omg maybe why he is shedding and scratching a bit then...i went in there when he was on puppy food and they advised i fed him Chudleys then we weaned him onto this under their advice bloody shop.

labby is offline Senior Member

I don't have a problem with wheat or corn being in a food as long as it's not the first ingredient and the dog doesn't have a problem with wheat or corn.

Obviously your dog is itching and having problems. I would switch foods.

Laura

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi there. I'm also in the UK, so hopefully I can help. The dog food market in this county is not as 'developed' as it is in the USA. In plain English, we don't have nearly as much choice of quality dog food brands as they do.

Based on ingredients what you are feeding is not terrible (in comparison to some of the poor quality brands of food), but it is far from great. It is grain heavy (wheat x2, rice, maize) and contains soya, which, along with wheat is a common source for allergies.

I also noticed that it is a working dog food. While you can feed a pet dog on a working dog food, it is not ideal unless the dog in question is very active. Working dog foods are designed for working dogs -- dogs who expend a lot of energy. Therefore they usually contain higher protein and fat levels. Again, they are fine to feed if your dog is active, but feed anything other than an active dog on a working/performance food and you may notice weight creeping on. That is why most pet dogs of average activity are better suited to maintenance foods.

As for WHICH brands of dog food, I personally feed Arden Grange. I like it because it uses good quality ingredients and has protein (25%) and fat levels which are suited to my dogs. It is good value for money, too.

James Wellbeloved is another decent choice. It uses good quality, simple ingredients. The only disadvantage is the price - it is pretty expensive.

NatureDiet and Natures Menu make excellent quality wet foods.

Thanks Rosie Great advice! i have heard of those brands of dog food and know where to get them. I was told when i had my collie as he werent a working dog too much protein makes them hyper? dont know if thats true or not.