I can't get him to stop chewing his paws...HELP!!!

Thread: I can't get him to stop chewing his paws...HELP!!!

DefaultI can't get him to stop chewing his paws...HELP!!!

Sargeant WON'T stop biting his paws! I have tried everything I need help now! We've even asked the vet, nothing has helped. We have changed his food four-hundred different times thinking it was allergies, given him benadryl (vet recommended), we have tried the bitter apple (stuff like that) and he LOVES the taste of it :-X ! I don't know what to try ??? We have tried many other methods to no avail, please help! When we use the bitter apple he sits down and licks it all off until we spray more...we finally caught on so no more bitter apple for him! We would love some other ideas to try. I'm beginning to think he is allergic to the carpet, or maybe it's the cats!?! I don't know what to do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

einstein's legacy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: I can't get him to stop chewing his paws...HELP!!!

I'm assuming his paws are irritated from the constant licking. He could be reacting to so many different things, even the cat, other animal hair and dander, it could be a million things. It could also be a compulsive behavior (OCD). You might try behavior modification with him but you will have to be vigilant and consistent! Teach him "no licking" and reward the good behavior. Keep him in sight and each time he licks say no licking while you are removing the paw from his mouth, then reward. Consistency is the key. I don't know what else to recommend other than a wholistic vet if you can find one.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You said you've changed his food four-hundred times. But what are you feeding him?

If you've not tried a GRAIN FREE food, I highly suggest it. Ruger had horrible skin allergies/ hot spots, ear infections until I switched him to Evo and Raw meals. It was beyond miraculous, the change in his skin and ears and NO MORE HOTSPOTS.

In the mean time, try putting socks on your dog's feet and securing them with masking tape just above the foot so that the sock doesn't slide off (you just need to wrap the masking tape around the sock on time, it stays up on the foot pretty well). My old lab licked his feet raw and I would sock him and it helped a lot. That was before I knew about RAW and Evo).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

When Paddy was around 2 he went through a terrible stage of paw licking/chewing. The tops of his paws. The only thing that worked was the constant command "Paddy don't lick!" and redirect his head to a chew toy or something else. He's 11 now and sometimes starts with the licking; we just give the command and he stops immediately.

You could be dealing with plain old boredom. Try getting some mental stimulation going... new commands, tricks, give him a job to perform. Get him to think. That will get his mind off those paws.

Seamus and Flynn

amazongold is offline Senior Member

I second the idea of trying grain-free, or at least wheat- and corn-free. Make sure ALL treats are also wheat free - MOST treats contain wheat or flour, read every label before you buy anything. Give it a good month or so on strictly no wheat and see if there isn't a huge improvement. We went through this with our Shadow, and going wheat-free was the answer for her.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

I agree with the previous posters, with the grain free diet, but he could have a yeast problem. Have you tried washing his pasws with apple cider vinegar? This is a great cure for yeast issues.
    Patti

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

My terrier used to do this the vet gave me Fucidin steriod cream. Alfie also does it when he is rolling about playing.