Have you asked your vet about scanning

Thread: Have you asked your vet about scanning

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultHave you asked your vet about scanning

So I had been reading this thread and had to take HK to the vet today. I realized that since switiching vets, I had not asked this office to verify that HKs chip was where is was supposed to be. So I asked if they had a scanner and if they would verify HKs was functional.

The response to my request.

Yo don't have to worry. If HK wasn't chipped we would have recommended is at your first visit. We scan each dog every time it is brought in, we log the ID in or system, and verify it at each visit. If it is not in our system, we send it in to verify the dog does belong to the owner and then enter it into our system so we don't have to do that every time.

I really liked that response. At least I know if someone steals HK and happens into that vet, she will get flagged as stolen.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Have you asked your vet about scanning

That's a great response from them! I'm glad your vet is so on top of it!

georgie is offline Senior Member

Sounds like a very caring vet.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

wow!

I have mine checked every year at their annual visit. Rider's has migrated a little since it was done.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

labby is offline Senior Member

Good vet!!

Laura

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

Hmmm, good idea to ask. Our vet now has pet portal, and I can see her records online. I don't see anything in there about the chip, so I'm going to ask next time we go in, which I really hope is not any time soon since I already donated $325 this month for her leg sprain.

Shane23 is offline Senior Member

That is a good vet. I had Shane's microchip checked at his very first visit, just to be sure. The numbers matched and it was where it was supposed to be.

A couple months later I decided to call AVID to make sure they had my information correct. When I gave them Shane's number, they told me they had nothing for that number! I couldn't believe it. I contacted Shane's breeder and we got it all straightened out, but it doesn't hurt to check with the company to make sure that someone at the other end actually entered the information.
    Laura

Summerlin's Inspired by Armani CD (Shane)

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Oh wow, I can't believe Avid didn't have anything on file for your dog Shane!

I just had to call Avid the other day, actually. Had to update the boys' info since we have moved. I asked them to read me everything else they had on file. Everything checked out fine, except they had Simon down as 143 pounds. ??? : Someone added a 1 in front of 43. Anyway. He was just a pup then, so I update to his current weight. But good point about checking with the company about what they have on file.

I have to ask for the boys to be scanned at their physicals, but I was in our vet's office one time for something else and someone had brought in a dog they had found running in their neighborhood. Their intention was to keep it. The staff was adamant that he must be scanned for a microchip. You could tell the guy had gotten attached to the dog, and really didn't want to know if the dog belonged to someone else. They insisted anyway, though. I thought that was good.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I felt good about what my vet does, and I think you do about yours.These dogs belong to someone and miss them, I am sure.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.