Nobody told me a commitment to support the vet was included
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nobody told me a commitment to support the vet was included

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultNobody told me a commitment to support the vet was included

Nobody told me a commitment to support the vet was included when I agreed to get a Lab.

So, I get home today around 3:30, HK is bouncing around a bit more than her usually greeting, probably unrelated. So we do our little rub a dub of the rump, chase around the fmaily room a little, ley downand roll over for a rummy rub, jump up to a sit for an ear rub. Uh! Oh! Why is the third eyelid on her right eye covering half her eye? Settle down, let me look at that! And she swipes her eye with her paw. The third eyelid comes retracks maybe half way to where it should be. What is this all about? So I call the vet, I can get in at 5.

Enough time to kill to get her to the DP for a half hour to run some energy off. No indication that she is bothered by her eye, and when we get back in the car, it is 'almost' normal. Well! Almost normal to me. Vets says it not a recurrance of the conjunctivitis, runs a pressure test for a mid eye infection, a stain to check for scratches on the cornea, and some numbing stuff to look under eyelids for foreign material. Conclusion, scratched cornea. Two meds, ointments in the eye. Can'tuse the one I had for conjunctivitis, has steroids which is not wanted for this problem.

I was amazed how good HK was during the whole vet thing. The vets even commented on her good behavior and how well she listened to me, not them. So $125 contribted to the veterinary welfare fund, two small tubes of ointment, and a dog that has no idea that there is anything wrong with her. The vet did let me look at the scratch in a dark room with the 'special' light. No doubt that there is a scratch there. We go back on Tuesday for a recheck, and instructions to bring her back earlier if there is any negative indications.

So, I need help remembering to give her the meds. Ointment 1, Morning, afternoon, and bedtime. Ointment 2, Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday mornings assuming it keeps the eye dilated.

I suppose it could be much worse and should be thankful. I guess I am.

End of whining.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Nobody told me a commitment to support the vet was included

I swear

I'm getting a sign for a parking spot at the vets - this spot is sponsored by the biggest sucker on the planet

cheers

http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

I know how ya feel ~ they can put a big dent in the pocketbook. But they are so worth it!

Hope HK's eye heals up soon.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

Good girl HK for being so good at the vets. You know Ed, my vet put a play yard in by her office for when her kids are there. I swear I bought every piece of equipment. :

When the girls had their conjunctivits & I had two meds at different times, I put a piece of paper on the fridge & wrote down when they were to get them & then I crossed off the times when I gave them. Otherwise I doubt I would have remembered.

I hope HK's eye is better soon.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

Hope HK's eye heals up and get a good to go from the checkup!

If and when I ever have to do that with Tal I will do like Georgie did and write it out so I make sure to remember when to give it!

Quote Originally Posted by georgie
    Good girl HK for being so good at the vets. You know Ed, my vet put a play yard in by her office for when her kids are there. I swear I bought every piece of equipment. :

When the girls had their conjunctivits & I had two meds at different times, I put a piece of paper on the fridge & wrote down when they were to get them & then I crossed off the times when I gave them. Otherwise I doubt I would have remembered.

I hope HK's eye is better soon.
    Georgie! You must remember to look at the frig. I can open the frig and take something ot without ever seeing the sign my DW left on the door for me.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Linda1 is offline Senior Member

Hope the meds do the trick.

Brookville, Pa.

jan elaine Guest

Poor HK! Here she is numb from pain and traumatised by the vet and all you do is whine. MEMEMEMEME!!!!! I think Hk needs to come down here to live where she will be appreciated. :-* Oh, but, uh..., I'll keep sending those vet bills to you . ;D And do you think you could fly down to do the eye ointment?? I'd hate to start off on the wrong foot with her!!

Magsmom, I like your sense of humor.

Poor HK is downstairs with her ecollar on. Mom is talking to her, explaining that she has to keep it on for her eye to get better. Then DW calls me downstairs to see if I can talk HK into laying on the couch where she will be more comfortable andmaybe the collar won't both her so much. This is my non-dog person DW. I won't say a word to her about it, I have learned somethng after 40 years.

GulfCoast is offline Senior Member

This may be a dumb question, but how is wearing an ecollar making HK's eye better? I can't figure that one out. (When I read ecollar, I am thinking TriTronics/electronic collar). Or do you mean like a cone to keep her from scratching it?
    HRCH Ellie Mae MH CGC
    Tipsy Puppy
    Justlabradors.com -- the best site for your Labrador needs.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee311/EllieMaeDogg/2108207141_f7321f204b.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast