HELP! Baby on the way with a hyperactive lab!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP! Baby on the way with a hyperactive lab!

DefaultHELP! Baby on the way with a hyperactive lab!

My husband and I are expecting our first child (Landon) May 1. We are terrified about our lab. During the day he is fine laying down most all day, but when he gets hyper there is nothing and I mean NOTHING that can stand in his way! He can be extremely rambunctious and bounces all over the place not worrying about what he is running into. I'm worried he is going to step on the baby (by accident) or knock into him. He doesn't understand how big he is! He would never do anything to hurt the baby but I'm worried he will really hurt him. There will be ALOT of baby things on the floor soon and I don't want him to hurt the baby. We are really hoping he will be the baby's best friend. He will have a bed in the baby's room. I'm just worried when he gets hyper. I have tried training, giving him a spot, I can't find anything that works when he get's in that mode!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP! Baby on the way with a hyperactive lab!

Good for you planning ahead!

how much exercise does he get? Your time is going to be limited soon, so consider hiring outside help with him - a dogwalker or occasional dog-daycare visits - will help take some of his 'edge' off.

Also, start thinking management - why will there be baby things on the floor? Set up 'baby stuff' shelving or covered boxes out of reach of doggy noses. Initially, the baby is going to be confined to the crib, the stroller, playpen or your lap - all of which will be off limits to the dog.(Well, except for the lap). During scheduled feeding, bathing, or babyplaytime, have a stuffed kong or bone ready for the dog and either crate him or tether him so he will be out from underfoot.

There are a couple new mothers on board who will hopefully chime in too.. (PhoebeJeebies and ColesMom - I'm sure they won't mind PM's either)

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

How old is he? It sounds like he needs lots more exercise. Being quiet most of the day allows for pent up energy and no way to express it but to run out of control so to speak. I would start with vigorous exercise, like fetch if possible in the afternoon then maybe in early evening a walk and see if that helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

amazongold is offline Senior Member

That 'hyper' is what we call butt-tucking, and is just a Lab's way of showing happiness and blowing off steam. Perhaps if you or hubby did some retrieving with him in the yard to tire him out, then you wouldn't have to worry about butt-tucking in the house.
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

He LOVES to play fetch! We play fetch with him alot. He is my husband's best-friend! Unfortunately where we live there is no "outside" help available. We live in the sticks! I wasn't talking about all of the baby's things on the floor. Just the bouncer seat that he will sit in occasionally and the occassional blanket and boppy pillow. We don't have a big house (2 bedrooms, 1 bath...about 900 sq. ft.) so it will be hard for us to separate the baby from the dogs. I want him to be able to lay on the floor (on top of a baby blanket of course) but Sargeant just worries me...he thinks he is a chihuaha! He doesn't realize he is 70 lbs of energy! The other two could care less as long as they can sleep and get the occasional pet.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Then don't lay the baby on the floor. Get a playpen and lay the baby in there. I'm sure you will find a managable solution.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

or just tether the dog (to the baseboard or large furniture) out of reach of the baby blanket. Or baby gate him into another room, making sure to provide a bone or chewie to keep dog occupied.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. I think you will find that most labs are very gentle with small children.

My son is almost 2, and my black lab Lilo can be a little wild at times and
    loves to play 24/7. Like the others have said, exercise and LOTS of it!!
    Also, I never laid my son on the floor when he was a baby. And if we did,
    either my husband or I was right there with him. We had a pack-n-play
    that worked great for us. Also the boppy pillow when used was only used
    when we had it on our laps. You just learn to work around having a baby
    and a dog. Get a toy box for babies toys and when they aren't being played
    with you put them away. I am forever picking toys up as my yellow lab
    is a chewer, especially when we arent home.

Feel free to pm me.

Great suggestions as far as exercise go and congratulations on your soon-to-be-arriving little one. One thing I would add, I would hesitstae to put the dog in the baby's room. Not saying anything would happen, but I am a firm believer in never leaving small children alone with dogs. Accidents can happen, and although I am sure your labby. would never intentionally hurt the baby, you would never forgive yourself if he got curious & wanted to "play" with the baby, say grabbing his/her sleepers through the crib rings and pulling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast