Question?

Thread: Question?

joflake is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion?

I have a question....If you find a dog and take it to a shelter to see if it has a chip, what happens if it doesn't? Are you allowed to take it back home with you until the owner is found or will the shelter keep it then? I wouldn't want to leave it at the shelter, I'd rather take it back home and hopefully find the owner. I would be afraid it would get adopted before the owner could be found.

My boss's wife was at her vets one day when the police came in with a stray beagle. He was old and only had the use of three legs. She wanted to take him home but the policeman called the shelter to come get him. They wouldn't let her take him home so she had to go through the shelter to adopt him, which she did. He had the best six months of his life with her. Too bad they couldn't have just let her take him home that day. The reason I say this is because he also had bone cancer. He wasn't well at all, but the shelter made her get him neutered and microchipped and pay whatever the adoption fees and vet bills were. Obviously, she would have paid the vet bills, but it was hardly necessary to get him fixed, he could hardly walk anywhere let alone run off and have puppies.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Question?

It probably depends on the shelter and the situation. I think the shelter here would let you hold on to it if you wanted to since they are full a lot and don't have the room. I personally would probably take a stray to the vets to be checked for the chip instead of the shelter if I could keep them temperaroly until the owner was found or permanently if after really trying the owner didn't show up. Also call other vets in the area with a description as well as law enforcement and the local shelter so if the owner calls they know where to find them.

labby is offline Senior Member

Oh you'd be surprised how dogs will do whatever they can to breed when the time is right. Old, crippled or not.

I think you answered your own question though. It depends on the shelter and it's policies. If one found a dog, I would prolly call the local vets to see if they had scanners then go there to have the dog checked rather than go to the shelter.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I am sure you can go to the shelter to just get the dog scanned, walking in the door with a dog that's a stray doesn't mean they are going to pry the dog from your hands. They will accept the dog if you are turning it in, but otherwise I am sure they'll just scan it for you. I know at our shelter they say that if you keep a dog you find and have it for 30 days or longer, YOU now are the legal responsible party of the dog.

As far as the cop that found the beagle and wouldn't let your boss's wife take the dog off his hands....law and procedure are what cops live for. Granted they COULD have been nice and just saved themselves time and effort, but if they were sent out on the call to get the dog and then they couldn't just give the dog to some random person and trash their file. It kind of makes sense. It's nice that they were able to get the dog anyway, but I am not surprised at what they had to go through to get the dog.