Length of gestation??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Length of gestation??

DefaultLength of gestation??

ok..getting antzy here..waiting on news of the litter being born. The due date is 1/21, 4 days and counting. My question is..are pups always born on the "due date", or is there a few days either way??? Can you tell I'm worried about there not being a male puppy for us. LOL
    Jackie <---pacing the floor

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Length of gestation??

I beleive it's 62-63 days and it can be a day or two before or after if I remember correctly. Hopefully Laura or another breeder will be more specific.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I can only imagine the anxiety you are going through. But come on! I am not a breeder, and certainly not a vet, but the bitch is not a machine. She is a living animal. There has to be early's and late's just like humans. So many factors, such a complicated organism. Patience, patience, patience.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Not Laura, or a breeder but have done much reading on the subject as of late... whelping can occur between 59-65 days after first breeding. So yes, there is some variation to the "due date".

Henry's litter was born 4 days earlier than expected, if I remember correctly.

Jackie,
    Was thinking of your waiting just this morning and was going to go back to look and see what due date was! Okay, 1/21. Still have fingers crossed for a male for you!

Uuuuuuuh uuuuuuuh...4 days early..I love it..my luck it will be 4 days later..LOLOL! Thanks for replying..it's so hard waiting. I wonder if the breeder will contact me, since she doesn't list litters on her website.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    Not Laura, or a breeder but have done much reading on the subject as of late... whelping can occur between 59-65 days after first breeding. So yes, there is some variation to the "due date".

Henry's litter was born 4 days earlier than expected, if I remember correctly.

Thanks..I figure it won't be exact..but I was wondering if there was a ball park figure..plus or minus..that kind of thing.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by bacatherine
    I beleive it's 62-63 days and it can be a day or two before or after if I remember correctly. Hopefully Laura or another breeder will be more specific.

Thanks so much Allyson..yeah the waiting is the hardest..once I know if there will be a pup for me..then it's just the pickup date countdown. If there isn't a pup, then I start the quest all over again..aaargh.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by sunnylaz
    Jackie,
    Was thinking of your waiting just this morning and was going to go back to look and see what due date was! Okay, 1/21. Still have fingers crossed for a male for you!

4 days later would be a worry.

Gestation is usually 63 days from ovulation, not from breeding, which could be as much as 4-7 days after ovulation, so Henry probably wasn't 'early' per say, just your breeder probably counted from breeding rather then ovulation.

Ruby was born on her due date, but the rest of the litter was born one day early. She was a 'suprise'. LOL She just wanted to do it right!

That's amazing...wow!! I didn't even know that could happen. Very interesting! I'm just being a worry wart..the main thing is she has a healthy litter, if I have to start over again..then it wasn't meant to be and the search will continue.
    Jackie

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    4 days later would be a worry.

Gestation is usually 63 days from ovulation, not from breeding, which could be as much as 4-7 days after ovulation, so Henry probably wasn't 'early' per say, just your breeder probably counted from breeding rather then ovulation.

Ruby was born on her due date, but the rest of the litter was born one day early. She was a 'suprise'. LOL She just wanted to do it right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast