Silver lab at obedience class
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silver lab at obedience class

DefaultSilver lab at obedience class

First day of a new obedience class for me and a few others (2nd class for most). A lady arrived with her "silver" lab (she kept telling people because every single person thought it was a weimaraner). Everyone oooohhhed and aaahhhhed "oh, we've never seen a silver lab" or "I didn't know they had silver labs". AHHH!!! Wanted to shout "THEY DON'T!!!". She said she would have the papers on the lab soon, and I finally had to comment, "but if you are getting papers they will say chocolate lab, not silver". She did agree, but went on to say again that it is a pure silver lab. Every single person there thought it was a weimaraner when it first came in, but she had everyone (but me) convinced that it is a rare silver lab by the end. It didn't even have a build close to that of a lab, I'm really thinking that one of the parents or at least grandparents had to be a weim. I don't understand why if she wanted a dog that looked like that she wouldn't have just gotten a purebred weim instead! I wanted so badly to say something, but just kept my mouth shut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Abby's Dad is offline Member

DefaultRe: Silver lab at obedience class

My Abigail is almost pure white. She has a streak of darker yellow on her ear tips the back of her legs and the tip of her tail. But the rest of her is white. On her papers she is listed as a yellow lab. Some people have attached the name silver to her color, but in all actuality she is a yellow lab
    The breeder where we got her specializes in the lighter yellow color, and from what I have been able to find out, the yellow lab includes the cream colors to the darker reds. Technically there is no such thing as a "Silver Labrador"

r"

I understand your frustration. I'm able to keep my mouth shut unless "silver" and doodle owner start bragging about their mutts...then I can't take it anymore. Good luck with the rest of your class

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ok...i want to offer up a different vantage point.

When we were looking at getting a lab 1.5 yrs ago, my girlfriend(at the time) stumbled across silver labs on web and had her heart set on one and I thought they were great as well...but at $1000 bucks, alot more than "other" labs that were available.... I ended up discovering...god forbid a BYB that had a liter of labs and I went to look at them one day and found what is now my chocolate lab. She fell in love w/ him at the time too.

My dog i had growing up, we got from 'a family that had a liter of puppies in the neighborhood' I grew up. this was 1980.

The concept of back yard breeders, the fallacy of silver labs, was completely foreign to me, even so close in the past, and as ignorant as that now sounds... I cringe at the thought NOW having learned what I have from THIS FORUM SINCE I GOT MY LAB that I entertained , a) a silver lab, and b) a BYB.

It's really important to remember that at the end of the day, these are dogs, regardless of where they came from , they deserve a loving family, and also that the family may not know any better.

I DO understand what you are saying, I'm glad you kept your mouth shut as you said... We need to keep things in perspective.

Sunnylaz, you're a better person than me. I'd be the jerk who would tell her the facts, and give her (and everyone else) websites to read, including the AKC site. Then I'd commend her on selecting a great dog. Weims are awesome (I used to have one) and of course, so are labs. Besides the fact that the weim/lab mix is so attractive (to me, anyway), I think they would make a great dog together.

My Rocket is like Abigail. He's classified as a "cream" variation in the yellow lab category (technically speaking). In person, his color ranges from white to light cream, and in photos he looks really white. Nontheless, people question his labrador status due to his light coloring.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I think you handled it fine and hopefully this lady will go do some research and find there aren't any silver labs. I would want to say something too but I would try and realize, like DFWlab said, that they love their dogs too. At the end of the day, all that really matters. Not saying we should not try and educate them, only that, hopefully, the dog has a good home and that's the most important thing.

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DFWLab
    It's really important to remember that at the end of the day, these are dogs, regardless of where they came from , they deserve a loving family, and also that the family may not know any better.
    Well said.

I also, have learned SO much since finding JL and doing some proper research on dog breeding, rescue and ownership. It wasn't very long ago that I was also in the "doesn't know any better" category.

One can hope that dog has a loving, caring, wonderful owner/family. And that the owner will open her mind and learn more as time goes on. She may right now just be repeating what she's been told about why her dog is so special - as she gets to know it for longer, perhaps she'll realize that it's special because of WHO it is, not WHAT it is. At least she's starting right, by taking the dog to obedience class.

Sounds like you handled yourself very well in the situation.
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

meandclint is offline Senior Member

Yellow can range from nearly white/cream to dark fox red. They are not "white" but definitely yellow. I have a very light one as well and proud to call her simply yellow.

Callaway is offline Senior Member

To each his own. I dont agree with the bragging of the "rare" color but hey too late now. At least they are doing something with the dog. Every dog needs a good home whatever the color.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

my2labs is offline Senior Member

we picked our abbey because she was the lightest color of the litter (just like wigwag's pic). she was also very white when we got her and the cutest little thing but she has since started darkening up as she gets older. i just hope this dog is treated as well in the home as our labs are.

Sam 9-27-07

Mojo 7-6-12

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast