How do you tell your "Heart dog"?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you tell your "Heart dog"?

Kate3jays is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do you tell your "Heart dog"?

It's been a while since we had a pup in the house and i must admit i was a little nervous about adding another to my calm, well behaved older gents, however i couldn't have been more wrong.

Jed is 16 weeks old tomorrow...i know, time sure does fly by, and he is, i have to admit a model puppy.

He gets on very well with his brothers who have accepted him into their well established fold as one of their own. He gets on with the cats pretty well too, he is 100% potty trained and has been for a while and is doing well in his obedience class.

There has been no destruction in the house, no drawing of blood, no ripped clothes, nothing, nada.

He walks well on his lead, he is reliable to have off leash in a safe area and his recall is about 75% already, i am truly blessed with this dog.

I have heard alot of you talk of your heart dogs, i have had 8 dogs in my life and i am pretty sure that Jed is going to be mine.

I love all of my dogs but there is just something a little bit special about this one, he is wise beyond his years and shows the love and loyalty of a faithful, older dog.

I feel slightly guilty for having these feelings and i certainly won't be treating him any differently than i do Jasper and Jonah.

Do you know from this early on or am i still wrapped up in puppy fever?

Thanks, Kate ~

My boy ~

"some days you are the dog, some days you are the tree!"
    Kate mom to Jed Jasmine and Joelly
    http://www.glosmerelabradors.co.uk/#

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: How do you tell your "Heart dog"?

My heart dog is by far my little corona. I dont know what it is about her or maybe it's the fact that she's the "baby" of the family...although one of the LARGEST lol, she's picked me as her human and i couldnt have asked for more love from her and all the smiles she gives me!
    Although i love ALL my pups the same and treat them the same...she is the one who has stolen my heart

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Each of my dogs had a had a differant piece of my heart! Sammi defiantly is special to me, no doubt about it but for differant reasons then Aspen ( my avatar ) was! Aspen saw me through the death of my step-mom, grandmother and was there when DD went off to college and DS went off to the military! She was a part of our family when the kids were little and I will always feel a very special connection with her! Sammi well she is just a wonderful loving companion, she makes you happy by just being in the room. Her personality is wonderful and she hasn't met a human or animal that she doesn't love and want to be bestfriends with, I felt a connection with her the day we brought her home and that feeling only grows everyday! So guess what I'm saying is don't feel guilty, I'm sure each and everyone of your dogs is special, just for differant reasons!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You are a good looking boy, Jed. And it sounds like you are a good boy also.

I don't know about heart dogs. I have loved each of my dogs through the years. I know that HK is really special to me. I have never felt quite this way about a dog before and DW knows it. Not jealous, but she has fun pointong ot what I do with/for/because of HK.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Rushpuppy is offline Senior Member

Well, when my Doodle (lab mix) died after 13 years, I thought I couldn't go on. She was so smart, good, sweet, loving all the things that make up a perfect dog. She left a giant hole in our hearts when she died of cancer. When we adopted Rush, I was feeling the empty nest, even tho we still had little Twiggy (t. fox terrier) we were all missing Doodle badly. When I found Rush I took one look at her face, beautiful amber eyes, pink nose and it was love at first sight. I knew then she was special but didn't realize how special until she was about a year old. She is so much a part of me that I know she is my heart dog. I couldn't love my dogs more if they were human and I love Twiggy and Boo just as much but Rush and I have that heart thing going on. The funny thing is my DH wanted a black female lab when we were looking to adopt Boo and from the get go, he knew she was his heart dog. It's amazing how that works.

I'm glad Jed is yours. He is such a wonderful little guy, and you will enjoy him more as he grows in size and in your heart. ;D

4yelloweyedogs is offline Senior Member

I love each one of my 4 dogs at present, but I feel my "heart dog" was Napoleon, a GSD/Malamute cross that we lost just before we got Sherman, our first Lab. I never knew he was my "heart dog" until he was gone. I always felt closer to him than any other dog we had in the past, and he was certainly the BEST companion we ever had. He just knew what you were saying. He always walked off leash, and never got too far ahead. He always always stopped, looked back to see us and waited. I knew that I would miss him when he was gone, I would look into his face and tell him that. I would tell him that I wanted him to stay with me, forever, and never go away. But he died suddenly, from either twisted intestine or an internal tumor could have ruptured.... I don't know..... but I do know that I always felt a special close bond with him while he was on earth. And I feel there will NEVER be another like him. Again, I'm not saying I don't love my dogs I have now, because I do. They are each very special in a different way. I feel that Napoleon led us to Sherman, so of course he is my "special boy". But I love them all.

Yes, perhaps Jed is YOUR heart dog.

Melissa

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

http://theyelloweyedog.weebly.com/

brody is offline Senior Member

hmmmm what a most excellent question

my grow up dog (an Irish setter Kelly) had a HUGE part of my life but honestly I'm not sure I was mature enough to recognize her heart dog potential

Rufus our golden in university was my first HEART dog - a wonderful do anything I asked him to do fella ... who had a lot of growth after he came to us at 6 months with BIG issues ..I still miss him every day and he's been gone a long time

We've lived with some truly lovely dogs - some of whom have become heart dogs to family and friends - Laurice became my friend Marcon's heart dog for example

I will have (in fact I do have) other heart dogs so calling a heart dog a once in a lifetime dog isn't fair if you live with as many pooches as we have but a heart dog is one that life just wouldn't be complete without
    a dog who fits you so well they are a part of you - you know what they think and they know what you think ... they complete you ... they make your heart SING

you can love a dog without them fitting the heart dog definition and I think a fair few people never have a HEART dog ... but I wish everyone at least one - tho the pain of losing them is dreadful
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

You just "know"......my cocker spaniel, Sundance was my heart dog, and I thought you could NEVER have another, but Dutch is doing a pretty good job of climbing Sundance's pedestal. Zoe is my best friend...no doubt she and I are best friends, but Dutchie; it's just different.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I'm not really sure what a "heart" dog is. I dearly love all of my dogs for who they are. And they all have a piece of my heart.

But if being your "heart" dog means it hurts the worse when they leave you, then hands down it was my Golden, Wile E. When he left, my heart was literally ripped to shreads. It took me a long long time to get over his passing.

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    hmmmm what a most excellent question

my grow up dog (an Irish setter Kelly) had a HUGE part of my life but honestly I'm not sure I was mature enough to recognize her heart dog potential

Rufus our golden in university was my first HEART dog - a wonderful do anything I asked him to do fella ... who had a lot of growth after he came to us at 6 months with BIG issues ..I still miss him every day and he's been gone a long time

We've lived with some truly lovely dogs - some of whom have become heart dogs to family and friends - Laurice became my friend Marcon's heart dog for example

I will have (in fact I do have) other heart dogs so calling a heart dog a once in a lifetime dog isn't fair if you live with as many pooches as we have but a heart dog is one that life just wouldn't be complete without
    a dog who fits you so well they are a part of you - you know what they think and they know what you think ... they complete you ... they make your heart SING

you can love a dog without them fitting the heart dog definition and I think a fair few people never have a HEART dog ... but I wish everyone at least one - tho the pain of losing them is dreadful
    Well said!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast