Resident Dog Not Standing Up For Himself w Puppy

Thread: Resident Dog Not Standing Up For Himself w Puppy

DefaultResident Dog Not Standing Up For Himself w Puppy

We recently adopted a 5 month old mutt from the humane society. Our hope is that she'll be a great companion for my 6 yr old male lab who has always been an only child. They're getting along pretty well but the puppy plays pretty rowdy and my dog will just not put her in her place. He is a very kind, gently soul and lets kittens boss him around. I'm worried that the new puppy will just learn she can take advantage of him. If he never lets her know when she goes too far, I don't see how she'll learn normal boundaries.

We're working on socializing the puppy with our friends well behaved dogs, but does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? I figured this has to be somewhat common with Labs' easy going nature. We do have a 30 day trial period with the shelter, where if it isn't working, we can return her. I would hate to do that because she seems like a great dog, but my priority is my older dog's happiness. Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Resident Dog Not Standing Up For Himself w Puppy

I know what you are going through. My lab mix is so sweet but sort of a wimp. Same deal...the cats can boss him around too. When we got Maggie (my great pyr) she immediately took charge. She would take toys, food and anything else she wanted, away from him. She attacked him a couple times just because he was going for the Nylabone when she wanted it. My heart was broke...how could I do this to Sampson? He didn't deserve that. He just wouldn't stand up for himself. Even though they got along fine, he let Maggie walk all over him. It took several months before that stopped. Sampson finally started taking his toys back when she took them from him or he would growl at her when she attempted to take them. Don't get me wrong, Sampson is still a little baby and sometimes just comes sit by us after Maggie has taken his toy and waits for us to do something about it. It sure has improved though, they can drink out of the same bowl, they don't fight over toys and they are just the best of buds. Samspon absolutely adores her, as do we, and enjoys having someone to play with.
    It will take time, but they will get it worked out. Sounds like your resident dog is a lot like my Sam. He's just a sweet heart and wouldn't hurt a fly and that won't change but he will eventually draw the line.
    Best of luck to you.

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

When the new puppy, Bruno, started on Mitzi,8, I knew she didn't like the rough stuff, but she wouldn't correct him so I did. He knows to leave her alone. Judy also didn't correct him, though she likes rough play. Now that he is nearly 7 months old, she lets him know when to back off.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Very normal. Stability will come but it takes time. Going from a one dog home to a two dog home is an adjustment for all concerned. Expect the initial period of 'unbalance' to last for a couple of months at least. After that it WILL get better - I guarantee.

Don't hestitate to step in sometimes. While in a way it is best to let them sort it out for themselves, as you can see, that doesn't always happen. Occasionally, a little human intervention is needed. Spending alone/one-on-one time with the new pup AND your older dog is good for maintaining a strong relationship with them individually, and it'll give your older guy some respite.

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

I used to worry about this same thing with my Buffy. She is very good natured and had to deal with 3 puppies at once. There were times when I stepped in but most of the time I let her deal with it. I learned if something was important to her she let them know with eye contact and they didn't mess with her. Now that they are all older, it is still the same way and believe me, they respect her. Just give it some time.

Thanks guys, that is very reassuring. We've had foster dogs and houseguests before and maybe that has something to do with it. He may just be waiting for her to leave... I really want them to become friends and I am stressed because I want to do the right thing for my older guy. I'm also glad to hear that it's ok to step in every once in awhile if she's really nagging him. She seems to understand 'no' and when she's gotten too rough, I've made her stop. I was a little worried that I might be stepping on his toes but he is so non-confrontational he would rather walk away.

Jode88- Neiko sounds a lot like Sampson. I'm glad Sampson finally made a stand. Maybe there is hope for my dog too

Do you guys think your older dog benefitted from the addition rather than just get used to it?

Marlan was the same way with Riggs when we first got him - we were pretty worried about it. Now, it's totally fine. He defends himself when need be.

georgie is offline Senior Member

Molly is very laid back & very gentle. She was three when we got Abby, who was 10 weeks old. Abby would bite her ears & legs. What we would do was always make them sit to go out any door,& Molly was released to go out the door first. Molly's food bowl was put down first. They sat to get treats & Molly got her treat first. Now that Molly is 5 & Abby is 2...they have worked things out. Once Abby was bigger when they were out in the field, Molly just rolled Abby over & that was that.

Abby still will nip at her legs but Molly lets her know when enough is enough. They also are good buddies. I think it will work out in time.

Thanks Georgie. I love the sig pic!

bibber is offline Senior Member

I agree that it should work itself out. When we got Bodie as a puppy, he just terrorized Sam. Sam would roll over on his back and let Bodie attack him, and Sam was so gentle with him. Now that they are both grown, Sam is definitely alpha over Bodie. I don't remember Sam ever really correcting Bodie, but their relationship just worked itself out.

Brenda, Sam & Bodie