Private Dog Resort, Tripoli style (long and lots of pics)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Private Dog Resort, Tripoli style (long and lots of pics)

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultPrivate Dog Resort, Tripoli style (long and lots of pics)

I've posted about Louie, our Basenji houseguest, and how his stay with us is rather like an Outward Bound program for insecure dogs. In fact his Mom keeps referring to our house as "Camp Toby". ;D Louie is definitely going to be getting the merit badge for "most improved". He's doing great.

The evening before last, another friend/colleague of ours brought her new dog over for a playdate with the gang at our place. Jack is a rescue from STLRR in Houston, he's all black, looks all lab but is quite small (about 50 pounds) and at a guess he's somewhere between 8 months and a year old (the rescue said closer to a year, but he's still got that puppy-floppiness especially when he runs, so between that and his small size, he appears younger).

It's actually a really sweet story. My friend had wanted to get a dog before moving here last summer, but hesitated because of the transatlantic move (she did bring her cat with her and he did fine). She comes over to our place a lot and has spent a lot of time with Toby and Chamois, so she became convinced she wanted a lab. She and I discussed it for several months. She took care of our animals while we were out of the country. Twice. She was still convinced she wanted a lab. Her housing situation is similar to ours - not quite as large but still a good sized house, very big completely walled-in yard, swimming pool with steps, and full-time watchman who is trustworthy and likes dogs. So I contacted STLRR, explained the situation, and after much communication back and forth between the board, my friend, and the foster family, it was agreed to let her adopt Jack. He flew over 2 weeks ago with another colleague who was returning to Tripoli from Houston (and who incidentally has moved with his Doberman, Roxy, all over the world for assignments). Jack, his new Mom, and his new cat, Echo, make a great family! Everyone is VERY happy, and the match was better even than I'd hoped. It's awesome watching them together, he's going to have a great life!

Anyway, we had a bit of an impromptu Dog Romp party the other night, and I thought I'd share photos to show Louie's socialization improvement. And also to introduce Jack to JL. The photos are not the best, the light was fading and my camera battery was dying. But I'm sure there will be more of these.

Jack and his favorite toy:

Louie and Toby racing out the back door:

"Stick with me kid, I'll show you the ropes"

I call this one "pool queue" (only my two actually got in):

Chamois as the bathing beauty:

Somebody was a little too interested in my nasturtium:

Jack in the lead (but look who's right behind!):

Not leading for long (the pile-up):

More poolside fun:

3 labs at sunset:

Happy Louie:
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Private Dog Resort, Tripoli style (long and lots of pics)

Great pictures of Camp Toby. It's obvious everyone is having a good time. Nice to meet Jack, too. He's very cute. Do the dogs have any quarantine time when they are shipped over?

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

No quarantine at all. It's actually a very simple process getting animals in to Libya. More importantly, it's also a straightforward process to get them back out of Libya (at least to the US and Europe). International health certificate, rabies vaccine certificate and vet records (plus Arabic translations of all the aforementioned, our company helps with that part). Reverse process on exit, and we have a very good vet here (who trained in the UK).

We've discovered that happily, two of the airlines who fly in here do a GREAT job handling pet transport - Lufthansa and KLM are fantastic and accommodating with animals both in the hold and in the cabin. They have kennel facilities and vets at both connection airports (Frankfurt and Amsterdam), where they feed, water, and give potty breaks to the animals if there is a long layover, they'll even board them free of charge on overnight connections if necessary. It probably helps that our company flies us business class for all international travel, but a lot of people transferring over brought their pets, and all of them have had good experiences.

So it's really not a big deal to bring them in, other than the 10 hour flight from Houston to the European airport (the flights from there to Tripoli are then only about 3 hours).
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Does Camp Toby have a AAA rating? Sure looks like a 5 A palce.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Clanceycanuck is offline Senior Member

Great pics. Glad to hear Louie is coming along.

and hiya Jack !

Awesome pics! I love the air shot of Louie! lol what a cutie.

eklind51 is offline Senior Member

looks like they had fun...great pics!

Those are great pictures. Looks like everyone had fun!

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Let me first say, I am so jealous of your yard & your house. I love the pool, the palm trees and the
    high dog-proof "fence".

Jack is adorable, and I"m so glad to see & hear that Louie is doing so well. Maybe you should do that on the side? Dog training I mean.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Love the pics!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast