Male and female dogs - an observation

Thread: Male and female dogs - an observation

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMale and female dogs - an observation

This is just an observation and certainly nothing statistical to draw conclusions:
    I have seen six female dogs spayed and now, two males neutered. Whenever I picked up the females after a spay, they were so happy to see me, tails wagging with full force, jumping around as if nothing happened, run to the car to go home. Some barked in joy as soon as they heard my voice in the office area. It was hard to keep them down the next few days.
    When I picked up the neutered males, you would think they just had a heart/lung transplant. They look as if they were barely able to walk, couldn't care less about anything.
    I would expect the opposite since a spay is a more extensive surgery.

Bruno was still acting feeble this morning until he heard food noises going on in the kitchen. Couldn't believe how fast he suddenly moved. He looked like he was suddenly back to normal. Now that all the food is out of the way, he's a whiny invalid again.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TobysTrix is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Male and female dogs - an observation

Interesting. Mine were just the opposite. Toby acted like nothing happened and he had no idea what he was missing. Chamois had a much more difficult time with her recovery, and was slow for a few days afterwards. I just assumed that it was because of the difference in complexity of the surgeries but maybe it's more a function of personality...
    Toby and Chamois say: GO STEELERS!
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Lexis Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mitziandjudysmom
    When I picked up the neutered males, you would think they just had a heart/lung transplant. They look as if they were barely able to walk, couldn't care less about anything.
    Well, doesn't that just sound like a typical male?

Women get sick or injured, yet keep on doing all the normal things as best they can with little or no complaints.

Men get sick or injured & the world is coming to an firey end over it. Perfect example, my father has been dealing with some health issues (none life threatening), but egad the long face on him over the weekend. If it were any longer he'd have tripped over it.

My pretty girl, Lexi!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have yet to pick up a male after neutering, but I still shudder remembering the day I picked up Peanut from her spay. She was a little older, about a year and a half when she was spayed (she had immune suppression issues, so it could not be done earlier) and she looked awful.

She had her back kind of arched, and would take really small, slow steps. She wiggled her little butt a little when she saw me, but it looked like it really hurt her to do so. While I paid she just stood there, staring at the ground.

She just looked so upset and in pain it about killed me. When I got her to the car I just sat there bawling for a few minutes before I could drive the car home. :'( :'(

It was pretty awful. I sure hope if/when Baloo is neutered he handles it better than she did! :-\
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

guinnysmom is offline Senior Member

Well, doesn't that just sound like a typical male?

Women get sick or injured, yet keep on doing all the normal things as best they can with little or no complaints.

Men get sick or injured & the world is coming to an firey end over it.
    LMBO that's just what I thought!

Kathy5475 is offline Senior Member

I was supposed to keep Riley "quiet" for 2 weeks. Ha, didn't happen. I brought her home that day at 5pm, she slept until 9pm, ate, peed/pooped, slept for another few hours. At 3am the next morning, I woke up to her and Simba zooming through the house :.

When Simba was neutered, he acted completely normal except he wouldn't sit completely for about a week.

I too have had the opposite experience. All the boys I've personally had neutered, or friends with dogs, all had to be forced to relax upon coming home. The girls controlled themselves for a day or two. Puzzle was the most dramatic...she cried, just a soft whimper due to the drugs, for an entire day. It broke my heart

I have had 4 males done this year, and 1 female. I have to tell you, the female was the worst. Had a bad reaction to the anesthesia.

Oh, and Lane peed in the back seat of the truck on the way home. : He was very groggy. Here at the place where I take mine, they do the dogs in the afternoon, and then you come get them between 4:30 and 5:30, so they are still very much out of it.

Allies Mom is offline Senior Member

I would have to agree with the "typical male". I had all 3 of mine done the same day and Allie (only female) was the only one who didn't get her stitches out on time. Didn't phase her a bit. I had one pee in a brand new bed on the way home.

Marlan was the opposite too - he bounded out of the vet's office like nothing had happened. HE still loves going to the vet, too!!