What is Dock Dogs?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Dock Dogs?

DefaultWhat is Dock Dogs?

What is Dock Dogs and where does it take place?
    I am making an assumption from the name - but wanted to know more.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

Diving off the docks into water ! longest jump wins although I doubt it's quite as simple as that !

We have DD afficionados on the board that will fill you in !

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

There are several different organizations. Depending on where you live depends on what is going to be closest to you. Ulimate Air dogs, Splash Dogs, Dockdogs, and Super Retriever has Super Fly. Consider it long jump for dogs. There are other disciplines too, one is a high jump, one is a speed race, one is catching the throw object in the air. You'll find a colorful array of people that do this too. Some have a dog that needs to burn energy, others have serious hunting dogs that need down time, the list goes on and on.

I would check out the websites and find an event close to you to check out. If your in FL look at Splash Dogs, great people. They do events in FL, AZ and CA mostly. It's a lot of fun but be careful not to get caught up in the politics of it....if you have other questions, let me know or send me a PM. Good Luck

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Dock Dogs is where your dog, who adores nothing more than jumping in a lake and swimming after a bumper, stands on the edge of the dock looking at the bumper for 90 seconds while you beg him to jump in. At least that was my experience with it. LOL!

(Seriously, though, if you have an opportunity to try it, do! I woudn't trade the experience!)

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

We went to our first practice event recently. TOO much fun! Apart from the fact I had a sore shoulder from holding an extremely excited pup back in between jumps! forum member Snowflake put me in contact with someone from my local club. I plan on attending some events in Sept/Oct.

- Dave

Dukesdad is offline Senior Member

DockDogs is probably the largest organization and sponsors three different competitions. Big Air is the jump for distance, Extreme Vertical is a jump for height, and Speed Retrieve is a timed event requiring swimming one lap of the tank to retrieve a bumper.
    The national event has multiple tours and you can get all the info you need here:
    http://www.dockdogs.com/index.php?op...tpage&Itemid=1

There are also sanctioned regional competitions that show up on the DockDog list of events.
    DockDogs is a really fun event where every dog has a chance to win a medal as they divide into divisions after each event. For instance the Novice division consist of all dogs that jumped 9' 11" or under. They award medals for first second, and third.
    The next division is the Junior Division for dogs that jump between 10' and 14' 11" and so on up to Super Elite for dogs jumping out 23+ feet.
    Here is a link to Duke's DockDogs page:
    http://home.flash.net/~jdebess/duke12.htm
    Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions you may have,

Duke and Freckles at their country home

Snowflake is offline Senior Member

DockDogs is by far (in my opinion) the best of the dock jumping organizations. They are professional, have efficiently run events, very well organized. They offer titles, ribbons, cash prizes, and National competitions. It's quite an organization.

But the best thing about DockDogs is the Affiliate Club network. They have and support local clubs all across the nation where people can get together and practice and help each other. The clubs hold events as well as the National organization, so on any given weekend, DockDogs can have as many as 5 or 6 dock diving events going on at various locations around the country.

If your dog loves water and has a strong toy drive, I strongly suggest you check into DockDogs and see if there's a group nearby you who can help you get started.

Your dog will love it!! It's a blast!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I second the vote for DockDogs. We did both DockDogs and the other one (is it Ultimate Air? I can't remember what they are called). We thought DDs was the more professional and newbie-friendlier of the two.

LopersNLabs is offline Senior Member

Each different organization offers something different. Depending on how far you decide to take it depends on which organization is best. And there is nothing wrong with trying them all or what ever happens to be close to you.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Is DockDogs the same as Ontario DockDogs? Are they affiliates? (sp) I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but Dozer's sister (a year older or so than he is) is owned by the president of Ontario DockDogs. I emailed her and she is excited to meet Dozer. A friend of hers has another one of Dozer's relatives as well. Neat!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast