Water Dogs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Dogs

DefaultWater Dogs

What is the best way to introduce your Lab to water...or do you even have to, does it come naturally? We live in the Houston Texas area, and although it is usually not THAT cold, I think that the water might be too cold for him right now (he is 3 months old). I don't want him to be afraid of it once it gets warm enough...we spend A LOT of time on the water (boating, floating the Frio).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Water Dogs

We didn't really have to do anything with our two they knew what to do. I personally wouldn't push them let them expolore and get in on their own. If you can get in with them that would probably be ideal then they will follow you in. That's what we did with Mocha. Some don't get it right away but I think most do. I doubt the water is too cold really most labs don't mind the cold water that's what they were ment to do (duck hunt and retreive from the water).

Callaway is offline Senior Member

When hes ready he will just get in. Our boy got in before he even knew what to do. We were in the pool and he kinda just came down the steps and paddled to us, of course his back end sank but he didnt care.
    I also got him a little plastic kiddie pool just enough water in it to test it.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

First time I took Zoe to the beach, she just jumped right in and swam!

Have fun!!!
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

We took Angus to the lake & waded in...he followed Now he's a water hound and you can't keep him out of it! He even "swims" in puddles.

Felix Guest

Just give him the possibility to explore by it sels, and Labradors are natural born swimmers, so if he (or is it a she ?! ) wants to swim, he just gets in, and do his stuff ...

But you always can push some buttons, and give him the proper motivation to get in to the water (not pusing or forcing things!), a good headstart is seek some dog's who already swim, and the change is big that you're dog also wil follow the others in to the water

Suc6! 8)

We took Maggie to the ocean in our boat and the first thing she did was jump in. She wanted in the water so bad. She was a natural. That wasn't exactly how I would have done it, but she has her own way of doing things. She swam right back to us. (the boat was moving because we were fishing!)

We started by letting Lula wade when we were around water. She did that for a couple of weeks before she actually swam. When she was ready she just jumped in and swam.

Just for safe measure, while swimming, we kept her on a long lead for a few months until she was stronger and we were more confident in her swimming abilities.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

When Hershey Kisses was 4-5 months old, this past May born in January, we started giving her the opportunity to get in a kiddie pool took her to ponds and lakes. She loved walking, running, digging in the water at every opportunity, BUT NOT SWIM. Uh! Uh! Nope! Would chase behind other dogs going into the water and swimming, but stop and turn back as soon as she would have to swim. Late August, at the river, just the two of us, she decided to swim. No hesitation, no testing, just went for it. Hasn't stopped since.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hee hee, the first time I took Baloo to the lake I figured "Hey, we'll just walk around, let him sniff around, check it out, etc etc."

We got there, I took off the leash and he made a beeline for the shore, and plowed right in. We had to "rescue" him a few times until he got the hang of the paddling/kicking feet thing, but he didn't balk for a second. ;D

Here's a pic of him starting to go under (Dan rescued him that time, as I was obviously busy taking pictures. )

He was 12 weeks old.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast