Greetings through a fence

Thread: Greetings through a fence

Joey is offline Senior Member

DefaultGreetings through a fence

When I walk my son to school, I usually take Cooper with me. Normally we don't see too many kids because I time it that way, he is pretty good around them but still jumps up a lot, but I am working on that with him.

When we go back after lunch there are usually a bunch of kids that come up to the fence to say hi to us and him. I always have treats on me so for the past few days I have been giving a treat to each child and getting him to sit and when he does then they give him the treat. I am not sure if this is a good idea or not??? It seems like maybe because he can get used to all the kids around and learn that he needs to be sitting to get the attention and treats, but then maybe it's not really fixing the real problem. I'm not sure, with adults I can explain more to them and they are less likely to get hurt, but I don't want to take the chance with kids. He is really good around the house or even at puppy play time when he is off leash, the jumping up is more of a problem when out for walks and he has a leash on.(which I understand).

So any thoughts on letting him greet the kids at the fence, good or bad????

thanks Johanne

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Samson is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Greetings through a fence

How old is he ?

Just turned 7 months. He's still a puppy but big enough to hurt a child by jumping up. There are a few things about having a rescue that I wish I could change and one would be about not being able to socialize him properly. He was in a shelter till 4 months and with a foster till 5 months when we adopted him. My 6 and 3 year old were the first kids he had ever been around, so he is really doing great with kids considering his limited exposure early on.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mitziandjudysmom is offline Senior Member

Maybe after he has a solid sit/stay, let him greet children while sitting. When I walk M&J, we often run into kids waiting for the bus who ask if they can pet M&J. I put the girls in sit and let the kids pet, no treats involved. If they greet Cooper through a chain link fence, do not let him get treats through the fence - he may get a tooth broken that way.

We have been working on the sit/stay. So far he is great in the house with and without distractions and good outside with no distractions, but add in kids or any person outside and it's not so good.

I never thought about him possibly getting hurt by getting treats that way, thanks.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

5 months ahead of you , HK turned a year last week. This makes me an expert. I hope you understand the absurdity of my last comment.

There are many here that can give you ideas for different training techniques, here, the obedience forum, the puppy training sticky, lots of help. Training with distraction , I found challenging. Just have to keep at it. If you have a friend or two, maybe not known well by your dog, that can help you in staging distractions, I found it very helpful. Also being consistent and just keeping at it, don't give up, don't get frustrated. Kids are tougher distractions than adults. I went after adults to help first. Kids are too close in size and that means play, IMHO. Then comes other dogs as distractions, then deer, and finally THE RABBIT.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

When we meet kids in Petsmart, I'll have Baloo sit, and then I'll kneel beside him, one hand on his collar, the other on his butt, so he can't move even if he wanted to. olice:

Then the kids can pet him without me having to worry about him jumping up and hurting them.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!